- New Definitions of National Security
- GreenPolicy360 & Strategic Demands
Green Politics: In the 1970s/80s Out in Front of Nuclear Weapons Reduction
- Decades of Advocacy for Sane Nuclear Arms Treaties and Non-proliferation Controls
War Between Russia, Ukraine: Risks of Expansion
- War Between Nuclear Weapons States?
- Fact: There is NO Winning a Nuclear Exchange, NO Winning with Nuclear Weapons
As years of nuclear weapons drawdowns of arsenals, now comes a heating up of nuclear weapons tensions as hard-earned global nuclear treaties collapse like dominoes...
We watch as experts on nuclear weapons express their deep concerns. Here, in early 2022 we point to Professor Tom Nichols on his last day at a U.S War College as he accepts his medal and begins the next phase of his life. Here is one of his posts...
>Tom Nichols (@RadioFreeTom) Tweeted:
I wrote a book on nukes in 2015. This is the excerpt on the logic of flexible response. Again, think of it now as the Russians, through their own malevolence and stupidity, today being where NATO was 40 years ago. And think hard before hand-waving at escalatory concerns. /10x
Joe Biden and Vladimir Putin: Step back from the brink....
Order the ambassadors to talk security. Real security. War involving nuclear-armed states will never bring real security...
- Ⅰ Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ Ⅺ Ⅻ
Doomsday Clock: 2022
Strategic Demands / StratDem
Visit GreenPolicy360's Associate:
- Strategic Demands @www.strategicdemands.com
GreenPolicy360 & Strategic Demands:
- Security for Today and Tomorrow's World 🌎
New Definitions of National & Global Security
Strategic Demands grew from an initial "Strategic Demands of the 21st Century" policy paper and "Surviving Victory" conference organized in Washington DC to propose new definitions of national and global security.
From the 2006 Green Institute/Global Policy forum and subsequent launch of GreenPolicy360 and eOS network, we have continued to offer a wide array of work drawing together GreenPolicy360 & Strategic Demands.
- Environmental Security ↔ National Security ↔ Global Security
Strategic Demands / GreenPolicy360
Ⅰ Ⅱ Ⅲ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ Ⅺ Ⅻ
Environmental Security News
Strategic Demands / Links
Global Security News
A Clash of Political Systems & Global Economics
Democracy in Danger, Authoritarian Governments Extend Influence
International Relations and Agreements Break Down
Journalist Attempts to Ask Important Questions
Looking Back, Looking Forward
From the mid-1960s to the second decade of the 21st Century
- Fifty + years of educating, organizing and personal activism
Origins of 'StrategicDemands.com
Steven J Schmidt / GreenPolicy360 Siterunner: The initial volley of arguments made by your GreenPolicy360 and Strategic Demands founder can be traced back to the mid-1960s and a meeting with a newly elected California Congressman -- George E Brown.
"My Friend George" -- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/George_E._Brown_Jr
In his rumpled suits and quiet way George E. Brown moved to form coalitions few thought could be formed and garnered support for the first set of U.S. Congressional acts that served as foundation legislation for decades of green progress.
It started in East Los Angeles. We were called a 'barrio', but we were a launchpad, yes we were...
Congressman Brown's work advanced environmental air quality and clean air legislation. He introduced the nation's first bill to ban lead in gasoline and was at the forefront of the Clean Air Act. He attacked Los Angeles smog, some of the worst air quality of any city in the world at the time and the air standards that came out of California became models worldwide. He succeeded in clean air and water efforts, though rarely given credit given his quiet approach to accomplishing big picture goals.
George was a key player in legislation founding the Environmental Protection Agency.
As the LA Times noted (without pomp or circumstance) in George's obituary in 1999: "He championed the creation of the federal Environmental Protection Agency". The creation of the EPA was in many ways Congressman George Brown's vision achieved..."
The founding of the EPA was based on new realizations of science and the environment. The vision of the "Whole Earth" that began with unprecedented Apollo photos on the cover of Life magazine in January 1969 led to a coming together of education, students 'teach-ins', scientific space missions studying earth systems for the first time, and popular demands for environmental protections.
A leader and a chairperson on the House science committee for over 30 years, George legislatively engineered an array of science efforts, including one that greens look to as prescient -- climate science.
From California to the World
GreenPolicy360 Siterunner: In the early years of the modern environmental movement, a conscious effort was made to construct a foundation of environmental laws and regulations on which a multi-year environmental protection framework could be built. Your GreenPolicy360 founder was one of those who believed in this constructive paradigm, using model legislation that could be locally developed, often in our state of California, then shared, 'exported' as we used to say, 'to the Feds' for adoption at the national level. The history here provides an ongoing modus operandi from the 60s and 70s until now as we deal with the pressing local, national, and international/global environmental threats and crises. We, at GreenPolicy360, call this "green best practices". Best practices is a model for sharing, networking, building on success and action. Templates and models, best practices made openly available, are our plans for having multiplier effects -- and it is our ongoing mission. A strong and resilient legal foundation and framework of environmental laws is an essential part of our overall work. We encourage you to join in as citizens of every nation, within your multiple and diverse legal systems and, we must add, as planet citizens.
When Congressman Brown drafted originating legislation establishing a national climate change research program via the National Climate Program Act of 1978, the scientific community and nation were just beginning to awaken to a new national security threat. I remember his concern, our concern. He was trained as a scientist, an engineer, with an ability to see facts and data sets in a way others could not.
Representative Brown was out in front of "Big Science". In his decades on the House Science, Space & Technology Committee, he worked to expand the reach of science. He knew that good data enabled good policy decisions. He pressed for first-generation earth science satellites and ongoing earth monitoring missions and data sharing.
Among his many initiatives, George Brown was a key figure in proposing, establishing, and then saving the Landsat program and its unique 'open-access' database of Earth Science imaging when President Reagan attempted to shut Landsat down. Landsat was a model for all the following earth science research missions from space and is now moving into its fifth decade with Landsat 9.
- Landsat and Virginia Tower Norwood
Earth/Space Science, Landsat Update: April 2021
A tip of our GreenPolicy360 hat to George E. Brown Jr who envisioned the Landsat's mission, the beginning of earth imaging and open access to the data and as a science leader in the US Congress supported, expanded and protected the earth science mission over the decades. The launch now, in April 2021, of Timelapse by Google Earth realizes a next step in George's decades-long quest to bring knowledge of our home planet to all citizens.
A Whole Earth Point of View -- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Whole_Earth
- Steven Schmidt, GreenPolicy360 Siterunner....
- DYK? Yes, we do, we remember the beginnings !
On the 50th Anniversary
Memories on the Road to the First Earth Day
By Steve Schmidt
SJS/GreenPolicy360: "We are the first generation to scientifically and systemically monitor the 'Vital Signs' of the Earth. Let us work now to expand our vision and act to protect Earth's living systems. The well-being of future generations is in our hands."
GreenPolicy360 and Strategic Demands
GreenPolicy360's origins connect deeply with Strategic Demands. The intersection began in the 1960s, with a new Congressman, George E. Brown from East Los Angeles and a young debater, a high school student who set in motion with the Congressman a multi-year journey to develop climate/environmental science and generational activism and strong, deep opposition to nuclear weapons.
Here is a quick snapshot of where our connections and work have led and links you can follow with our group of founders.... relationships and ideas carried forward from the 1960s and 70s and going strongly today.
We are diverse mix, across the globe now with the Internet, many voices, colors, ages, especially young people joining in. GreenPolicy360 and Strategic Demands.... including Steve Schmidt, George E. Brown, Dan Ellsberg, Jerry Brown, Roger Morris, and Charlene Spretnak.
Welcome along... green, environmental, national and global.... strongly confronting and working to solve our generation's existential challenges. Reaching across our home planet, touching and interacting with planet citizens, looking to share solutions to the pressing problems and challenges of our generation.
Links to voices of StratDem/GreenPolicy360 include --
George E. Brown
Gov. Jerry Brown
- More from Strategic Demands and GreenPolicy360:
1992 Presidential Campaign
Governor Edmund (Jerry) Brown Brings Forward a Diverse Eco-nomic/Environmental Platform
SJS / Advancing a presidential campaign, your GreenPolicy360 siterunner worked with the Governor to draft the 'we the people' campaign platform, taking new ideas into the U.S. presidential debate to press the Democratic Party into a progressive direction...
- At the Democratic Party Platform Hearings
"Platform in Progress"
This category has the following 32 subcategories, out of 32 total.
Pages in category "Strategic Demands"
The following 145 pages are in this category, out of 145 total.
Media in category "Strategic Demands"
The following 200 files are in this category, out of 1,062 total.(previous 200) (next 200)
- 1977 from the Office o...
- 2001 pic3.jpeg
- 2017 second hottest on...
- 2020 record temperatur...
- 7-20-2020 GreenPolicy3...
- A Stark Nuclear Warnin...
- A Ukraine Russia US Na...
- Act now for a livable ...
- Acting on Climate Chan...
- Acting to make a posit...
- Afghanistan, US to wit...
- Al Gore speaks of clim...
- An Ambitious Plan to S...
- Anti science, anti ope...
- AOC 9-29-2020.jpg
- AOC March 26, 2019.jpg
- Aramco profits soar - ...
- Arctic heat in Russia-...
- Arctic Melt - 1950-202...
- Arctic Sea Ice 2015.png
- Arctic Sea Ice Area gr...
- AskNatureAvatar s.png
- Asteroid Watch JPL.jpg
- Astro POV - Mike Massi...
- Astro Samantha.png
- Atmosphere Science.jpg
- Atmospheric Experiment...
- AU Too Hot.png
- August 6, 1945.jpg
- B-21 Raider.jpg
- Banking - finance - cl...
- Banking - finance - cl...
- Barrier island hubris ...
- Be Worried, Be Very Wo...
- Bernie Sanders, Senate...
- Bernie Sanders, Senate...
- Biden announces EV pol...
- Biden delivers voting ...
- Biden introduces leade...
- Biden urged to act - O...
- Biden voting rights sp...
- Biden voting rights su...
- Biden's assembled an a...
- Biden-Harris, CNN News...
- Biden-January 27 2021-...
- Biden-Sanders Unity Ta...
- Big Wobble 2020.jpg
- Bill Nelson on Global ...
- Bill Nye The Planet's ...
- Bioneers - LDF-One Ear...
- BlackRock CEO says the...
- BlackRock on financial...
- Blinken-Lavrov - Jan 2...
- Bloomberg Carbon Clock...
- Bloomberg Live Climate...
- Blue Marble photo - Ap...
- Blue Marble photo take...
- Boom, SUNRISE.jpg
- Bridenstine talks.png
- Brief History of Carbo...
- Bulletin from the Los ...
- Burning the Data.png
- C02 in atmosphere char...
- Car heating and coolin...
- Carbon Brief - Greenho...
- Carl Sagan at the Emer...
- Carl Sagan at the Emer...
- Carl Sagan, the atmosp...
- Cassidy Hutchinson tes...
- Celebrating 50 Years o...
- Charles Bolden.jpg
- ChatGPT talks of fight...
- China and the Taliban ...
- China Record Heat - Au...
- China's New Roads.jpg
- Citizens Climate Lobby...
- Climate Action is race...
- Climate action m.jpg
- Climate activist - Ste...
- Climate and National S...
- Climate Books - 2020.jpg
- Climate cases on the r...
- Climate Central.jpg
- Climate Change Conf No...
- Climate Change debate-...
- Climate Change from Sp...
- Climate Change Laws of...
- Climate Change Poses a...
- Climate Conferences 19...
- Climate debate.jpg
- Climate Desk.jpg
- Climate Emergency Inst...
- Climate emergency.jpg
- Climate Goals off cour...
- Climate Impacts on Hum...
- Climate Lawsuit-Our Ch...
- Climate Models.png
- Climate News - United ...
- Climate Plans Enforcem...
- Climate Science Specia...
- Climate skeptics, scie...
- Climate strike - Week ...
- Climate Strike Around ...
- Climate Summit - Leona...
- Climate Summit live up...
- Climate Time Machine N...
- Climate Time Machine N...
- Climate365 NASA and sc...
- ClimateNews 360.jpg
- CO2 cumulative emissio...
- CO2 Emissions per Capi...
- CO2 Emissions, GDP per...
- CO2 emissions-around-t...
- CO2 photo.JPG
- CO2 since 1751.png
- Coastal Connecticut se...