Each of us can make a positive difference stepping up & doing our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
- Protecting Freedom, Protecting Rights, Protecting Democracy Nation-by-Nation
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
January 6, 2022
Biden decries Trump backers’ ‘dagger at throat’ of democracy
Jan. 6: Trump hits back, saying Biden trying to 'further divide America' to distract from failures:
Trump called Biden's Jan. 6 speech 'political theater'
America’s living presidents — save one — warn about the danger our democracy faces
Biden condemns Trump as a threat to democracy in speech marking one year since January 6 attack
Capitol Events Commemorate Jan. 6 Attack as Biden Blames Trump’s ‘Web of Lies’
'Darkest day' -- Politicians speak on anniversary of U.S. Capitol attack
No time for platitudes as Biden gives sharpest denunciation of Trump yet:
This was the moment the president realized the clear and present danger posed to US democracy by an ex-leader gone rogue
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Bringing a Critical Eye to the 'Summit for Democracy' & Role of a Free (and Thriving) Press
“Given the increasing challenges journalists face all around the world, is it time to rebuild journalism, not simply as a media sector, but as a piece of essential infrastructure for any functioning democracy?” the agenda states.
Yes... yes. Yes and yes, but how?
“What would a New Deal for journalism look like, and what national and international commitments are required to foster consistently independent, reliable, accessible and compelling public-interest journalism all around the world?”
Focusing on Dangers to Democracy Around the World & Clear & Present Danger to Democracy in the U.S.
November 22, 2021
Report: Democracy backsliding across the world amid pandemic
COPENHAGEN, Denmark (Associated Press / AP) — Democracy is deteriorating across the world, with countries notably taking undemocratic and unnecessary actions to contain the coronavirus pandemic, an intergovernmental body said in its new report Monday.
“Many democratic governments are backsliding," the International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance, or International IDEA, said.
The 34-nation organization added that as of August 2021, 64% of countries have taken an action to curb the pandemic that it considers “disproportionate, unnecessary or illegal."
The Swedish-based body added that the situation is also getting worse in countries that are not democratic. Autocratic regimes have become “even more brazen in their repression,” free speech has been restricted and the rule of law has been weakened, it said.
In its flagship report on the state of democracy, International IDEA said the number of backsliding democracies has doubled in the past decade...
The report comes ahead of U.S. President Joe Biden’s Dec. 9-10 virtual “summit for democracy” aimed at gathering government, civil society and private sector leaders in what Biden has cast as a global faceoff against rising autocratic forces.
United States Department of State Organizes 'Summit for Democracy' - December 9-10, 2021
Democracy Summit / Agenda Goals:
- Defending against authoritarianism
- Addressing and fighting corruption
- Promoting respect for human rights
Global State of Democracy Report 2021
Building Resilience in a Pandemic Era
The world is becoming more authoritarian.
The world is becoming more authoritarian as non-democratic regimes become even more brazen in their repression and many democratic governments suffer from backsliding by adopting their tactics of restricting free speech and weakening the rule of law, exacerbated by what threatens to become a "new normal" of Covid-19 restrictions. For the fifth consecutive year, the number of countries moving in an authoritarian direction exceeds the number of countries moving in a democratic direction. In fact, the number moving in the direction of authoritarianism is three times the number moving towards democracy.
Global State of Democracy Report 2021 - Key Facts and Findings
- The number of countries moving in an authoritarian direction in 2020 outnumbered those going in a democratic direction. The pandemic has prolonged this existing negative trend into a five-year stretch, the longest such period since the start of the third wave of democratization in the 1970s.
- Democratically elected governments, including established democracies, are increasingly adopting authoritarian tactics. This democratic backsliding has often enjoyed significant popular support.
- Some of the most worrying examples of backsliding are found in some of the world’s largest countries (Brazil, India). The United States and three members of the European Union (EU) (Hungary, Poland and Slovenia, which holds the chair of the EU in 2021) have also seen concerning democratic declines.
- Authoritarianism is deepening in non-democratic regimes (hybrid and authoritarian regimes). The year 2020 was the worst on record, in terms of the number of countries affected by deepening autocratization. The pandemic has thus had a particularly damaging effect on non-democratic countries, further closing their already reduced civic space.
- Electoral integrity is increasingly being questioned, often without evidence, even in established democracies. The former US President Donald Trump’s baseless allegations during the 2020 US presidential election have had spillover effects, including in Brazil, Mexico, Myanmar and Peru, among others.
- The uneven global distribution of Covid-19 vaccines, as well as anti-vaccine views, undermine the uptake of vaccination programmes and risk prolonging the health crisis and normalizing restrictions on basic freedoms.
IDEA / Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance -- Democracy Resources
Facts On-the-Ground -- 'Democratic Backsliding'
Democracy Backsliding Across the World / AP
As Democracy 'Backslides' in the U.S.
The United States has joined an annual list of 'backsliding Democracies' for the first time, the International IDEA think-tank said on Monday, pointing to a 'visible deterioration' that it said began in 2019. Globally, more than one in four people live in a backsliding democracy, a proportion that rises to more than two in three with the addition of authoritarian or 'hybrid' regimes, according to the Stockholm-based International for Democracy and Electoral Assistance.
Democratic Challenges in the U.S.
"We can't have a democracy as we know it without a free press, and that's why Poynter is so important."
Independent Journalism -- Informing, Educating, Democracy in Action
- Fact Finding & Informed, Knowledgeable Democratic Decision Making
- http://www.politifact.com/ | PolitiFact via Poynter
- https://www.poynter.org/ifcn/ | Poynter Int'l Fact Checking Network
- http://www.poynter.org/category/fact-checking/ | Poynter Int'l List
- Fact Finding, Fact Checking & the '3 Ds' -- Discussion, Debate & Decision-Making
Online Civic Organizing and Democratic Action
Protecting and Expanding a Rights Agenda
Democracy in an Online 360 World
This category has the following 33 subcategories, out of 33 total.
Pages in category "Democracy"
The following 66 pages are in this category, out of 66 total.
Media in category "Democracy"
The following 139 files are in this category, out of 139 total.
- 1977 from the Office o...
- A Stark Nuclear Warnin...
- Acting on Climate Chan...
- Acting to make a posit...
- Anthropocene Economist...
- Astro Samantha.png
- Atmospheric Experiment...
- Be Worried, Be Very Wo...
- Biden delivers voting ...
- Biden voting rights sp...
- Biden voting rights su...
- Bill McKibben to next ...
- C40 Cities actions.jpg
- California-Jerry Brown...
- Capitalism and Climate...
- Carl Sagan at the Emer...
- Cassidy Hutchinson tes...
- Challenge of Acting fo...
- Cities resilience and ...
- Climate action.jpg
- Climate Change from Sp...
- Climate Change in a Cl...
- Climate emergency.jpg
- Climate News - United ...
- Climate Summit - Leona...
- CO2 cumulative emissio...
- CO2 data.jpg
- Defend Our Future 6-1-...
- Democratic Climate Pla...
- Don't Look Up ....jpg
- Don't Look Up.jpg
- Dr Katherine Calvin ap...
- Drawdown - pushing cli...
- Earth Day 2022 - Act u...
- Earth in Human Hands.jpg
- EcologyStudies abc.png
- EDF satellite - methan...
- Environmental laws in ...
- Environmental Performa...
- EPA .jpg
- ESA Living Planet Symp...
- ESA Living Planet Symp...
- Evolution of Human Ene...
- Eyes On Global Securit...
- Future of social activ...
- Gavin Schmidt - NASA -...
- George E Brown.jpg
- Global Climate Dashboa...
- Global Climate Dashboa...
- Google Earth Engine.png
- Gov and money.jpg
- GP360 tagcloud2.png
- Haiku poems - Owl agai...
- Haikubox via RM citize...
- Hannah Arendt.jpg
- IPCC Report - Feb 2022...
- Joan and Christiana - ...
- Journey of a Climate P...
- June 28 2022.png
- Manchin News - Dec 20 ...
- Manchin News 2 - Dec 2...
- Manchin, one Senator, ...
- Maria Ressa - Nobel Pe...
- Maria Ressa, Dmitry Mu...
- McKibben re Manchin - ...
- Methods to enforce cli...
- Michael E Mann - July ...
- Michael E Mann reviews...
- Money-in-Politics Book...
- National Climate Pledg...
- New German government ...
- No way nuclear codes b...
- NOAA Climate.Gov.png
- Oil gas climate change...
- Oil profits and US gas...
- One year later...I wil...
- Pope Francis - Easter ...
- Protect Democracy.png
- Race to Zero - circa J...
- Richard Jacobs and The...
- Roosevelt and Muir at ...
- Russia oil gas pipelin...
- Russia oil gas pipelin...
- Santa Fe Institute.png
- School strike week 176...
- SCOTUS EPA decision - ...
- SCOTUS News re West Vi...
- SJS - Steven Schmidt -...
- Speed and Scale Action...
- Speed and Scale Poster...
- Steve Clemons - Bottom...
- StratDem logo4.png
- StratDem Strategic Dem...
- Summit for Democracy.png
- Supreme Court decision...
- The Rainforest Canopy,...
- UN NDC Registry - webs...
- US Senate debates voti...
- What happens when.png
- WV v EPA SCOTUS poll -...
- Your vote.png