Each of us can make a positive difference stepping up & doing our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
Thwaites Glacier, Antarctica
This summer’s Antarctic weather, as elsewhere in the world, was unprecedented in the observed record
Thwaites, Ominous and Changing as Scientists Watch
What Happens in Antarctica Doesn't Stay in Antarctica
The Thwaites Glacier is often considered one of the most important when it comes to changes in sea level....
- More re: Thwaites
Along with Thwaites the overwhelming majority of the world’s glaciers have begun to withdraw...
Never forget: The ice is telling you what to do and not you are telling the ice what to do. Thwaites speaks, its calving a message we must now labor to hear.
Elizabeth Rush is the author of Rising: Dispatches from the New American Shore.
Scientists Detect an Enormous Cavity Growing Beneath Antarctica
- Researchers say the cavity would once have been large enough to hold some 14 billion tonnes of ice. Even more disturbing, the researchers say it lost most of this ice volume over the last three years alone.
- "We have suspected for years that the Thwaites glacier was not tightly attached to the bedrock beneath it," says glaciologist Eric Rignot from the University of California, Irvine, and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.
- "Thanks to a new generation of satellites, we can finally see the detail."
- "For global sea-level change in the next century, this Thwaites glacier is almost the entire story."
- Rignot and fellow researchers discovered the cavity using ice-penetrating radar as part of NASA's Operation IceBridge, with additional data supplied by German and French scientists.
- Antarctica is losing ice 6 times faster today than in 1980s
- Antarctic melting study... 'reasons for concern'
Read this research data thread and Antarctic sea-level rise connection from @chriscmooney, environmental reporter from the Washington Post:
Scientists release the most accurate, high-resolution terrain map ever created (2018)
- The new Antarctic map shows a resolution of 2 to 8 meters – compared to the previous standard of 1,000 meters.
Large-format poster map of the Reference Elevation Model of Antarctica (REMA), rendered with a hillshade. Does not include any cartographic elements.
Large-format poster map of the Reference Elevation Model of Antarctica (REMA), rendered with a hillshade. Includes cartographic elements such as place name labels, graticules...
Use the links below to browse the directory for the entire REMA dataset. Refer to Documentation to see the directory structure, naming schemes, and download contents.
"Considering that Antarctica is the highest, driest, and one of the most remote places on Earth, we now have an incredible topographic model to measure against in the future," said Paul Morin, a University of Minnesota earth sciences researcher and the director of the Polar Geospatial Center.
"Up until now, we've had a better map of Mars than we've had of Antarctica," said Ian Howat, professor of earth sciences and director of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center at The Ohio State University. "Now it is the best-mapped continent on Earth."
"It is the highest-resolution terrain map by far of any continent,’ said Ian Howat, professor of Earth sciences and director of the Byrd Polar and Climate Research Center at The Ohio State University.
- Antarctic Treaty System
- NASA IceBridge Antarctica
- Antarctica's Flowing Ice
Antarctic Melt Needs to be Monitored More Closely
- How active are newly discovered Antarctic volcanoes?
- A new volcanic province: an inventory of subglacial volcanoes in West Antarctica
- ...the biggest cluster of volcanoes in the world.
The study, published in the Geological Society Special Publications series, does not indicate whether the volcanoes are active but the team is trying to find out.
As Dr. Robert Bingham, a glacier expert and one of the paper's authors noted to the Guardian, "The big question is: how active are these volcanoes?"
"That is something we need to determine as quickly as possible," Bingham continued. "Anything that causes the melting of ice—which an eruption certainly would—is likely to speed up the flow of ice into the sea."
Ominously, other experts have warned that a reverse situation could also happen — volcanic activity can be triggered by thinning ice sheets from rising global temperatures.
Trillion Ton Iceberg Breaks Off
- The Future of the US Antarctica Station and Research
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Antarctica"
The following 11 pages are in this category, out of 11 total.
Media in category "Antarctica"
The following 114 files are in this category, out of 114 total.
- 3-15-2016 12-29-07 PM.png
- Air pollution moves gl...
- Aldis zone blog.jpg
- Antarctic Ice Shelf Ju...
- Antarctica from Blue M...
- Antarctica ice shelf-g...
- Antarctica NASA 1024x7...
- Antarctica-2016 nasa.jpg
- Arctic Sea Ice Area gr...
- Bridenstine talks.png
- Climate Change Conf No...
- Climate debate.jpg
- Climate Models.png
- Climate Science Specia...
- Climate Strike Around ...
- CO2 Emissions per Capi...
- CO2 Emissions, GDP per...
- CO2 emissions-around-t...
- Covering Climate Now.jpg
- Cumulative CO2 Emissio...
- Democratic Party pres ...
- Denying human-caused c...
- Earth in Human Hands I...
- Earth Science Research...
- Elizabeth Rush.jpg
- Elon Musk quote - gas ...
- GCAS original.png
- Gistemp 1979-2019.png
- Global Climate Strike ...
- GND next steps.png
- I've done all I can.png
- Iceberg breaks off fro...
- Icebergia Time July 12...
- ICESAT mission.png
- Inhofe and the Snowbal...
- Jerry Brown re EPA - 1...
- Jerry Brown-Climate We...
- Jerry Brown-Global Cli...
- Katharine Hayhoe on th...
- Lamar accuses March 20...
- Lamar re science and T...
- Lamar Smith Denial Off...
- Lamar's science.png
- Launching soon.png
- Like a speeding freigh...
- Michael E Mann -- act ...
- Michael E Mann, act wi...
- Mulvaney says no lifes...
- NASA co2-graph-061219.jpg
- NDC Tracker - 2020.jpg
- New Climate Model.jpg
- Not to worry 2016.png
- Paleoclimate-at the Mu...
- Politics and Science i...
- Pope meeting with oil ...
- Pruitt denies basic cl...
- REMA Antarctica 9-7-20...
- Rising Seas, refugees,...
- Science and Climate He...
- Senator Jim Inhofe and...
- State of the paris agr...
- Strike - Sept 20.jpg
- There is no Planet B M...
- Thin Blue difference.jpg
- Trump digs coal-2.jpg
- UN Climate Summit - Ne...
- UN Climate Summit News...
- US EPA to reverse meth...
- Venice flooding.png
- Youth Climate Strikes-...