Climate News | Green Stories of the Day
- Time for Planet Citizen Action 🌎
A Call to Action to Preserve & Protect Life on Earth
- It's your time to become a Planet Citizen
- We believe 'Each of us can make a positive difference by stepping up & doing our best"
Strategies of Resilience & Survival
Planet Citizen Vision of Living Earth
The Living Planet Index (LPI)
Tracking the health of nature over 50 years
The Living Planet Index (LPI)—which tracks populations of mammals, birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians—reveals an average 69% decrease in monitored wildlife populations since 1970. The 2022 LPI analyzed almost 32,000 species populations. It provides the most comprehensive measure of how they are responding to pressures in their environment.
Living Planet Report 2022
Via the World Wildlife Fund (WWF)
Wildlife populations plummet by 69%
The Living Planet Report 2022 is a comprehensive study of trends in global biodiversity and the health of the planet. This flagship WWF publication reveals an average decline of 69% in species populations since 1970. While conservation efforts are helping, urgent action is required if we are to reverse nature loss.
Interlinked emergencies: Climate change and biodiversity loss
The evidence is unequivocal—we are living through the dual crises of biodiversity loss and climate change driven by the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Scientists are clear: unless we stop treating these emergencies as two separate issues neither problem will be addressed effectively.
Our broken relationship with nature
Climate change and biodiversity loss are not only environmental issues, but economic, development, security, social, moral, and ethical issues too. Industrialized countries are responsible for most environmental degradation but it is developing nations that are disproportionately impacted by biodiversity loss. We all have a role to play in building a nature-positive society that safeguards the planet for the good health of everyone.
Earth Science to Protect a Sustainable Earth
PlanetCitizen.org / Earth System Science / Measuring "Vital Signs"
NASA: You can manage only what you can measure
Q: What are the main science questions you (JPL/Caltech/NASA) hope OCO-3 will answer?
The big science question is about the movement of carbon dioxide between plants and the atmosphere.
If you look at the ground-based data, it almost looks like the planet is breathing. Plants in the northern hemisphere take up carbon dioxide as they grow in the spring and summer, reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by a few parts per million. In the fall, the leaves drop and carbon is released back into the air.
But every year is different... What we want to do is find drivers of the plant uptake of carbon and use that to better predict what will happen in the future. If we have a warmer, drier climate, will plants keep taking up as much carbon?
New Definitions of National Security 🌎
GreenPolicy360 and Associate Strategic Demands explore Earth's existential threat environment
GreenPolicy360's partner site, Strategic Demands / #StratDem
Escalating Risk of Use of Nuclear Weapons
Nuclear Arms Are Back in a Big Way
- Looking Back at an Imminent U.S. Threat to Use Nuclear Weapons
- Over 50 years ago college students began 'teach-ins' and launched a national peace action called a 'Vietnam Moratorium' that grew to become the largest US peace movement in history -- It was only years later that historians documented how Americans peace demonstrations prevented Nixon and Kissinger plans to use tactical nuclear weapons
Today the U.S. President has a Singular Authority to Order Use of Nuclear Weapons
- Warnings from Today's Generation
- Planet Citizens, Look to the Future
- Can we kick our fossil-fuel addiction fast enough?
Planet Citizen Greta Speaks to the European Union
- Climate Focus, Climate Politics
Battle in the U.S. Congress between the Climate Change Denial and Science Advocates
- GreenPolicy360 / Strategic Demands / New Definitions of National Security
Green Issues Around the Globe, 360°, Online
Countries Worldwide/Climate Action INDC Plans
The Fight for Earth / 2050
Pope Francis speaks of Climate, Politics, Personal Responsibility
- "It would be sad, and dare I say even catastrophic, were special interests to prevail over the common good and lead to manipulating information in order to protect their own plans and interests"...
- "The Pope took particular aim at those who reject the science behind global warming..."
Pope Francis on the Environment
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
"Vital Signs" / Sea Level / NASA
"What's up with sea level rise?"
NASA experts update current conditions & projections of sea level rise
@EarthVitalSigns • #EarthRightNow
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Protect Life, Be Pro-Life, Prevent Extinction
The 8 Million++ Species We Don’t Know
By Edward O. Wilson / NY Times
Large 'Charismatic' Creatures & Rarely Seen "Tiny Little Ones"
The most striking fact about the living environment may be how little we know about it. Even the number of living species can be only roughly calculated. A widely accepted estimate by scientists puts the number at about 10 million. In contrast, those formally described, classified and given two-part Latinized names (Homo sapiens for humans, for example) number slightly more than two million. With only about 20 percent of its species known and 80 percent undiscovered, it is fair to call Earth a little-known planet.
To effectively manage protected habitats, we must also learn more about all the species of our planet and their interactions within ecosystems.
The best-explored groups of organisms are the vertebrates (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes), along with plants, especially trees and shrubs. Being conspicuous, they are what we familiarly call “wildlife.” A great majority of other species, however, are by far also the most abundant. I like to call them “the little things that run the world.” They teem everywhere, in great number and variety in and on all plants, throughout the soil at our feet and in the air around us. They are the protists, fungi, insects, crustaceans, spiders, pauropods, centipedes, mites, nematodes and legions of others whose scientific names are seldom heard by the bulk of humanity. In the sea and along its shores swarm organisms of the other living world — marine diatoms, crustaceans, ascidians, sea hares, priapulids, coral, loriciferans and on through the still mostly unfilled encyclopedia of life.
Do not call these organisms “bugs” or “critters.” They too are wildlife. Let us learn their correct names and care about their safety. Their existence makes possible our own. We are wholly dependent on them.
Our Living Earth...
"Tiny Blue Green Life"
- More than Meets the Eye, the 'Tiny Little Ones'
- www.tinybluegreen.com @GreenPolicy360
Warming Oceans, Threats to Life
Phytoplankton & Photosynthesis
"A single kind of blue-green algae in the ocean produces the oxygen in one of every five breaths we take"
~ from "The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean’s Are One" by Sylvia Earle
Seventy percent of the Earth's surface is ocean... here, in myriad life forms, "tiny blue-green" organisms are essential to preserving life on the planet.
Listen to Nature, Nature's Ways
Diversity is nature's strategy of survival
GreenPolicy360's eco-economics: Next gen e-business
- 21st Century Economic Ideas in Development @ GreenPolicy360
Environmental full-cost accounting
Remember, facts count... Measure to Manage
Get Semantic, Go Scientific
Get Smart, Scholarly
Astrophysics Data System / https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/
(A 21st Century AI/Machine Learning Case Study)
Toolformer: Language Models Can Teach Themselves to Use Tools
Planetary-scale Earth simulations known as global climate model projections are the primary sources of information on future climate change.
Climate models are based on mathematical equations represented using a grid mesh that covers the globe: a finer grid mesh is more accurate but much more computationally expensive. Current global climate projections agree that a world with more greenhouse gases will be warmer everywhere, especially over land and at high latitudes.
NOAA scientists harness machine learning to advance climate models
March 1st, 2023
How artificial intelligence is fast becoming a key tool for climate science (2021)
GreenPolicy360: We're Into Earth Science
- We believe in 'critical thinking skills'
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2022
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2021
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2020
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2019
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2018
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2017
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2016
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2015
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2014
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2013
About the GreenPolicy360 Network
GreenPolicy360 is here for you...
Across borders, our network of websites, social media, associates and resources provide "green best practices" for all seasons. Our green news updates and online database deliver local and global green eco-policies that are actionable 24/7/365.
We've experienced millions of page visits and tens of millions of views. Our Introduction Video explains how we started and our initial goals.
We believe green dreams and green values in practice can turn 'ripples into waves' of change.
Our GreenLinks global connections, #PlanetCitizens in action, is growing as many of us see the immediate necessity of confronting the climate crisis and environmental challenges on multiple fronts.
GreenPolicy360 was developed for use in all communities, local, national, and international. GreenPolicy lets you know how other communities are dealing with key green policy issues of yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Use the models and templates here to craft green legislation/proposals/resolutions/ordinances for your local community. Use our online platform to build on what has worked in other communities and locations.
Create waves of change and keep on keeping on!
"Think global and act local! Think local and act global! It's all connected, it's all related."
How to Use the GreenPolicy Site
1) Browse our All Pages Index
- The GreenPolicy Index is organized into Categories and Topics and lists all pages and media content
2) Green Best Practices... Keywords, Categories and/or Topics'.... GreenPolicy360 pages/info/data/science/best practices are widely shared internationally. The MediaWiki open access platform enables free sharing with a multiplier effect. We are #GoingGreen. Share our links and network Generation Green .
- (Note: New accounts set up option paused Oct 2021)
- Consult the MediaWiki User's Guide for information on using this wiki software.
3) Google Maps
- The World Map presents countries/locations and, as of 2015, is expanding green practices internationally, focusing on INDCs - climate plans and climate plan actions
4) Browse/Search GreenPolicy360 through the use of a wide variety of Categories
- Find models for green initiatives/projects in your community... discover and share green ideas of what might be possible to introduce in your community, region or country
- Use this link to view all the Categories and Topics
- Use this link to search by Location and this link to search the GreenLinks network
- Use this link to view by Entity types (e.g., City Governments, School Districts, etc.)
- Use this link to view by type of legislation (e.g., ordinances, resolutions, etc.)
5) Searching the site on your own terms
- Enter your search words/terms in the left-sidebar 'policy search' window and choose Go or Search. You can enter a keyword, key phrase, or location, or anything you want, in any combination you want. Search terms must be at least three characters. The database will not search for two-character search strings.
6) Our standard style guide utilizes italics for quoted material and non-italic for original text content. For additional editing/text formatting help, review these Wiki markup guides:
7) Ready for a Surprise? Click for a Special Random Page
8) In general, content on GreenPolicy's site is offered under Creative Commons CC BY-NC license -- Reuse with Attribution-NonCommercial / http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
9) Additional references about Wikis and GreenPolicy360:
10) Join the GreenPolicy360 GreenLinks Network. Email us to add your green organization - [email protected]. Be a Planet Citizen.
New Vision in a 360° Connected World
Life on Earth / Planet Citizen Perspective
Digital Citizens, Digital Rights Movement
- #OpenAccess - https://twitter.com/hashtag/openaccess?src=hash
- #OpenData - https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenData?src=hash
- #DigitalRights - https://twitter.com/hashtag/DigitalRights?src=hash
- #InfoSec - https://twitter.com/hashtag/InfoSec?src=hash
- #Cybersecurity - https://twitter.com/hashtag/cybersecurity?src=hash
Planet Citizens, Digital Rights @GreenPolicy360
Links via GreenPolicy's Digital360 Network
- Alliance for Affordable Internet - http://a4ai.org/
- ArcGIS Open Data Platform - https://opendata.arcgis.com/about
- ASPI Cyber Policy - http://cyberpolicy.aspi.org.au/
- Center for Data Innovation - http://www.datainnovation.org/ - http://www.datainnovation.org/2014/04/the-economic-impact-of-open-data/
- Center for Democracy and Technology - https://cdt.org/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/CenDemTech
- (TW) https://twitter.com/CenDemTech
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Democracy_and_Technology
- Citizen Lab - https://citizenlab.ca/
- Coalition for a Safer Web - https://coalitionsw.org/media/
- Code for America - http://codeforamerica.org/issues/openness/
- CommonFutures EU/Int'l - http://CommonFutures.eu/the-future-of-open-possibly-the-largest-open-network-in-the-world
- Creative Commons - http://CreativeCommons.org
- Data.gov, US Government open data - http://www.data.gov/
- 124K+ data sets as of 2015 - http://www.data.gov/metrics
- EcoInforma http://www.data.gov/ecosystems/ecoinforma/
- Dbpedia - http://dbpedia.org/About
- Decent Security - http://www.decentsecurity.com/blog/
- Digital Bill of Rights - http://jameslosey.com/post/79356515492/an-overview-of-calls-for-rights-or-principles-for-the
- Digital Citizens Alliance - https://www.digitalcitizensalliance.org/
- E Pluribus Unum, Dispatches on Open Government and Technology - http://e-pluribusunum.org/
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - https://www.eff.org/
- (RSS) https://www.eff.org/rss
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation
- (Parker Higgins-EFF) https://twitter.com/xor
- (recommended by EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) - https://www.epic.org/
- Energy and Environment Legislation Tracking Database (US) - http://NCSL.org/issues-research/energyhome/energy-environment-legislation-tracking-database.aspx
- eQualit.ie - https://equalit.ie/equalit-ie-manifesto/
- Advancing the International Bill of Human Rights - http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/Compilation1.1en.pdf
- Fact-Checking Projects
- Beginning with PolitiFact, the original project at Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolitiFact.com
- Fight for the Future - http://www.fightforthefuture.org/
- Free Software Foundation / GNU - http://www.fsf.org/ - https://www.gnu.org/home.en.html
- Freedom of Information Requests/Government Attic (US) - http://GovernmentAttic.org
- Freedom of the Press Foundation - https://freedom.press/ - https://freedom.press/about/board
- (TW) https://twitter.com/FreedomofPress
- (FreedomPress Organizations) https://freedom.press/organizations
- Freedom Online Coalition - http://www.freedomonline.ee/ - http://www.freedomonline.ee/about-us/Freedom-online-coalition
- Freenet - https://freenetproject.org/
- Fundar - http://fundar.org.mx/
- Future of the Internet (blog) - http://futureoftheinternet.org/blog/
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
- Github and Open Data update - https://github.com/project-open-data - http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/catch-my-diff-githubs-new-feature-means-big-things-for-open-data/283673/
- Global Digital Citizen Foundation - https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/
- Global Network Initiative - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org/
- Principles on Freedom of Expression and Privacy - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org//principles/index.php
- Global Open Data Initiative - http://GlobalOpenDataInitiative.org
- Global Partners - http://www.global-partners.co.uk/
- Global Project Against Hate and Extremism - https://www.inach.net/global-project-against-hate-and-extremism/
- Global Voices - http://globalvoicesonline.org/-/topics/digital-activism/
- GNU / Free Software Foundation - https://www.gnu.org/home.en.html - http://www.fsf.org/
- GNU Project - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project
- Government Accountability Project - http://www.whistleblower.org/
- Government Lab - http://thegovlab.org/
- GovFuturesLab - Reimagining governance for an age of planetary challenges and human responsibility
- (FB) https://Facebook.com/govfutures
- App4Gov (TW) https://Twitter.com/App4Gov
- GovLoop (US) training/social media/open gov - https://www.govloop.com/
- GovTrack - https://www.Govtrack.us/
- GreenPolicy360 / Digital Citizen - http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Digital_Citizen
- Information Technology and Innovation Foundation - http://www.itif.org/
- Institute for the Future - http://iftf.org/govfutures
- Internet Archive - Wayback Machine - https://archive.org/
- Internet.org "Connecting the World" - https://info.internet.org/en/
- Internet Bill of Rights / Internet Rights and Principles Coalition - http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/
- Internet Freedom Festival (IFF)
- Internet Governance Project - http://www.internetgovernance.org/
- Internet Society - http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/mission
- IT for Change (India) - http://www.itforchange.net/
- Linked Data - http://linkeddata.org/
- Mobile Commons - https://www.mobilecommons.com/about/
- Mozilla Foundation Webmaker Tools - https://webmaker.org/en-US/tools
- Muckrock News - https://www.muckrock.com/news/
- New Media Rights - http://www.newmediarights.org/
- News Integrity Initiative - https://www.journalism.cuny.edu/2017/04/announcing-the-new-integrity-initiative/
- Online Magna Carta - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/12/online-magna-carta-berners-lee-web 
- Open Access Publishing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
- Open Congress (U.S.) - https://www.opencongress.org/
- Open Data Institute UK-Int'l - http://TheODI.org/about-us - http://TheGuardian.com/public-leaders-network/2013/oct/22/open-data-institute-summit-gavin-starks
- Open Data movement_Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data
- Open Data Nation - http://www.opendatanation.com/ ("Smart Cities and Small Businesses")
- Open Data Research Network - http://opendataresearch.org/
- Open Data - World Bank - http://data.worldbank.org/
- OpenDemocracy - https://www.opendemocracy.net/about
- (TW) https://twitter.com/opendemocracy
- Open Government Initiative (US) - http://www.whitehouse.gov/open
- Open Government in Practice - https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24435672M/Open_Government
- Open Government Partnership - International - http://OpenGovPartnership.org
- Open Institute - http://openinstitute.com/
- Open Knowledge Foundation Lab - http://okfn.org/
- (Blog) PublicBodies.org - http://blog.okfn.org/2013/07/09/introducing-open-knowledge-foundation-labs/
- Open Rights Group - https://www.openrightsgroup.org/
- Open Science - http://opensciencefederation.com/
- Open Secrets/Center for Responsive Politics - http://www.opensecrets.org/
- Open Source @Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
- Open Source Ecology - http://opensourceecology.org/ - http://opensourceecology.org/gvcs/
- Open Source Hardware (wiki) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_hardware
- Open Standards Principles (UK) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-standards-principles/open-standards-principles
- Open State Foundation - http://www.openstate.eu/
- Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation - http://newamerica.org/oti/
- OpenGov Foundation - http://OpenGovFoundation.org
- OpenGov Hub - https://twitter.com/OpenGovHub
- OpenMedia International - https://openmedia.org/
- OpenNet Initiative - http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/opennet
- Peer 2 Peer-P2P Foundation - http://p2pfoundation.net/
- Personal Democracy Forum/Media - https://personaldemocracy.com/
- Civic Hall - http://civichall.org/
- Piwik analytics - http://piwik.org/
- Privacy Rights in the Digital Age (Published 2016)
- Project on Government Oversight - http://www.pogo.org/
- PublicAgenda - http://PublicAgenda.org
- Public Resource Org ("Making Government Information More Accessible") - https://public.resource.org/
- RDF Standards - http://W3.org/RDF
- Reform Government Surveillance - https://www.reformgovernmentsurveillance.com/
- Research Data Sharing without Barriers - https://RD-Alliance.org
- Reset the Net - https://www.resetthenet.org/
- SafeGov - http://www.safegov.org/
- Save Internet Privacy - https://www.saveinternetprivacy.org
- Save the Internet (US) - http://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home
- Schneier on Security - https://www.schneier.com/about.html
- Software Freedom Law Center - https://www.softwarefreedom.org/
- SpiderOak - https://spideroak.com/
- State Decoded - http://StateDecoded.com
- Sunlight Foundation - http://sunlightfoundation.com/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/sunlightfoundation
- (G+) https://plus.google.com/+sunlightfoundation/posts
- (TW) https://twitter.com/sunfoundation
- Measuring the Impact of Open Data
- Surveillance Studies Centre - http://www.sscqueens.org/ - http://www.surveillance-studies.net/
- The Forum on Information and Democracy - https://informationdemocracy.org/
- The Constituent (US) - https://The-Constituent.com
- Thoughtworks - http://www.thoughtworks.com/
- Truthiness Collaborative - https://www.annenberglab.com/projects/truthiness-collaborative
- UN/United Nations Promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism - https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/15/un-investigator-report-condemns-mass-surveillance/
- US Gov-EPA Databases - http://Water.EPA.gov/aboutow/owow/data.cfm
- VYPR VPN - http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn
- Web We Want (World Wide Web Foundation) - http://webfoundation.org/2013/12/announcing-the-web-we-want/ - https://webwewant.org/
- WebTAP / Web Transparency & Accountability Project (Princeton University) - https://webtap.princeton.edu/
- Jimmy Wales / Founder - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales
- Wikiversity - https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page
- World Summit on the Information Society +10/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Summit_on_the_Information_Society
- Worldwide Web Consortium - http://www.w3.org/
- WWW Origins-Foundation, est. by World Wide Web founder Tim Berners-Lee, "devoted to all people having access to the Web"
- WebFoundation.org -- "The Web Belongs to All of Us"
Green360 Popular Pages & Index of Files
GreenPolicy360 Most Popular Pages
GreenPolicy360 Most Linked-to Categories