Each of us can make a positive difference stepping up & doing our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
- GreenPolicy360.com / .net / .org
- Tens of Millions of Visits & Shares
Welcome to GreenPolicy360, online 24/7/365, your globally connected GreenLinks network.
GreenPolicy360 is here for you, an eco Operating System (eOS) for connecting and sharing stories changing the world. We encourage you to create your own green stories and share them.
Launch new initiatives, improve the environment, change the way governments run and how businesses work.
Now is the time to go beyond old ways of thinking. Today is time to act to shape new visions of our communities and our living Planet Earth home.
○ "There is no wisdom that is not related to earth, or does not partake of its nature."
- -- Marjory Stoneman Douglas
- Time for Planet Citizen Action 🌎
2020: Two Decades Into the 21st Century
On the 50th Anniversary
Strategies of Resilience & Survival
Can the world kick its fossil-fuel addiction fast enough?
Earth Science to Protect a Sustainable Earth
Q: What are the main science questions you (JPL/Caltech/NASA) hope OCO-3 will answer?
The big science question is about the movement of carbon dioxide between plants and the atmosphere.
If you look at the ground-based data, it almost looks like the planet is breathing. Plants in the northern hemisphere take up carbon dioxide as they grow in the spring and summer, reducing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere by a few parts per million. In the fall, the leaves drop and carbon is released back into the air.
But every year is different... What we want to do is find drivers of the plant uptake of carbon and use that to better predict what will happen in the future. If we have a warmer, drier climate, will plants keep taking up as much carbon?
- Planet Citizens in Action
GreenPolicy360 and Associate Strategic Demands explore Earth's existential threat environment
GreenPolicy360's partner site, Strategic Demands / #StratDem
Escalating Risk of Use of Nuclear Weapons
- Looking Back at an Imminent Threat to Use Nuclear Weapons
- 50 years ago, as the largest US peace movement was marching, Nixon and Kissinger were planning to use tactical nukes
Looking at the Trump Administration and 'Singular Authority' to Order Use of Nuclear Weapons
- Warnings from Today's Generation
- Planet Citizens, Look to the Future
Planet Citizen Greta Speaks to the European Union
U.S. Departs from International Climate Policy Cooperation:
The International Climate Agreement goes forward without the U.S.
Nations around the world reject the U.S. decision
Climate News / Climate Focus, Climate Politics
Battle in the U.S. Congress between the Climate Denial faction and Science Advocates
- GreenPolicy360 / Strategic Demands / New Definitions of National Security
What happens in the North doesn't stay in the North
The Fight for Earth / 2050
THIRTY YEARS AGO, in 1989, TIME named the endangered Earth Planet of the Year. It’s taken that long for the world to wake up to the reality.
Man-made climate change has thrown us headfirst into a true crisis that touches every part of the globe, and we can’t waste any time making systemic changes to the global economy, geopolitics, and culture if we want life on Earth to survive. Thirty years from now, we’ll look back at 2019 as another inflection point—whether good or bad is up to us.
TIME brought together some the world’s leading thinkers on global warming to start the conversations we need to have to knock human civilization off its disastrous trajectory.
- "It would be sad, and dare I say even catastrophic, were special interests to prevail over the common good and lead to manipulating information in order to protect their own plans and interests"...
- "The Pope took particular aim at those who reject the science behind global warming..."
"What's up with sea level rise?"
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
The 8 Million+ Species We Don’t Know
By Edward O. Wilson / NY Times
Destruction of Life, Large 'Charismatic' Creatures & "Tiny Little Ones"
The most striking fact about the living environment may be how little we know about it. Even the number of living species can be only roughly calculated. A widely accepted estimate by scientists puts the number at about 10 million. In contrast, those formally described, classified and given two-part Latinized names (Homo sapiens for humans, for example) number slightly more than two million. With only about 20 percent of its species known and 80 percent undiscovered, it is fair to call Earth a little-known planet.
To effectively manage protected habitats, we must also learn more about all the species of our planet and their interactions within ecosystems.
The best-explored groups of organisms are the vertebrates (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes), along with plants, especially trees and shrubs. Being conspicuous, they are what we familiarly call “wildlife.” A great majority of other species, however, are by far also the most abundant. I like to call them “the little things that run the world.” They teem everywhere, in great number and variety in and on all plants, throughout the soil at our feet and in the air around us. They are the protists, fungi, insects, crustaceans, spiders, pauropods, centipedes, mites, nematodes and legions of others whose scientific names are seldom heard by the bulk of humanity. In the sea and along its shores swarm organisms of the other living world — marine diatoms, crustaceans, ascidians, sea hares, priapulids, coral, loriciferans and on through the still mostly unfilled encyclopedia of life.
Do not call these organisms “bugs” or “critters.” They too are wildlife. Let us learn their correct names and care about their safety. Their existence makes possible our own. We are wholly dependent on them.
"Tiny Blue Green"
- More than Meets the Eye
"A single kind of blue-green algae in the ocean produces the oxygen in one of every five breaths we take"
- ~ from "The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean’s Are One" by Sylvia Earle
Seventy percent of the Earth's surface is ocean and here, in myriad life forms, "tiny blue-green" organisms are essential to preserving life on the planet.
The Unseen and the Seen
- A 21st Century Economic Ideas in Development @ GreenPolicy360
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2019
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2018
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2017
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2016
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2015
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2014
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2013
About the GreenPolicy360 Network
GreenPolicy360 is here for you...
Across borders, our network of websites, social media, associates and resources provide "green best practices" for all seasons. Our green news updates and online database deliver local and global green eco-policies that are actionable 24/7/365.
We've experienced millions of page visits and tens of millions of views. Our Introduction Video explains how we started and our initial goals.
We believe green dreams and green values in practice can turn 'ripples into waves' of change.
Our GreenLinks global connections, #PlanetCitizens in action, is growing as many of us see the immediate necessity of confronting the climate crisis and environmental challenges on multiple fronts.
GreenPolicy360 was developed for use in all communities, local, national, and international. GreenPolicy lets you know how other communities are dealing with key green policy issues of yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Use the models and templates here to craft green legislation/proposals/resolutions/ordinances for your local community. Use our online platform to build on what has worked in other communities and locations.
Create waves of change and keep on keeping on!
"Think global and act local! Think local and act global! It's all connected, it's all related."
How to Use the GreenPolicy Site
1) Browse our All Pages Index
- The GreenPolicy Index is organized into Categories and Topics and lists all pages and media content.
2) Add your Ideas, Green Best Practice... Add a Keyword, a Category and/or Topic
- Add-a-Page, a New Entry to our GreenPolicy database, Click Here
- We welcome your suggestions. Is there a new Category/Topic that you think should be included in our database? If so, email us your category suggestions - GreenPolicy360@gmail.com. If you would like to contribute green best practices content, consider setting up an Account and follow the model of current pages, organizing content into Categories/Topics. Contact us for suggestions and/or advice.
- Consult the MediaWiki User's Guide for information on using this wiki software.
3) Google Maps
- The World Map presents countries/locations and, as of 2015, is expanding green practices internationally, focusing on INDCs - climate plans and climate plan actions.
4) Browse/Search GreenPolicy360 through the use of a wide variety of Categories
- Find models for green initiatives/projects in your community... discover and share green ideas of what might be possible to introduce in your community, region or country
- Use this link to view all the Categories and Topics
- Use this link to search by Location and this link to search the GreenLinks network
- Use this link to view by Entity types (e.g., City Governments, School Districts, etc.)
- Use this link to view by type of legislation (e.g., ordinances, resolutions, etc.).
5) Searching the site on your own terms
- Enter your search words/terms in the left-sidebar 'policy search' window and choose Go or Search. You can enter a keyword, key phrase, or location, or anything you want, in any combination you want. Search terms must be at least three characters. The database will not search for two-character search strings.
6) A Note about the "background info" tab
- As we continue to develop the various capabilities of GreenPolicy360, we will provide more content as 'on background' information. Note the color of a page 'background info' tab. If the tab has blue lettering, then the entry does include background information. If the tab has red lettering, it means that it does not include background information yet.
7) Our standard style guide utilizes italics for quoted material and non-italic for original text content. For additional editing/text formatting help, review these Wiki markup guides:
8) To Upload Graphic files, click on the Upload file link in the left side-bar and follow the directions. Permitted file types are pdf, png, gif, jpg, and jpeg
9) In general, content on GreenPolicy's site is offered under Creative Commons CC BY-NC license -- Reuse with Attribution-NonCommercial / http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
10) Additional references about Wikis and GreenPolicy360:
Digital Citizens, Digital Rights Movement
- #OpenAccess - https://twitter.com/hashtag/openaccess?src=hash
- #OpenData - https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenData?src=hash
- #DigitalRights - https://twitter.com/hashtag/DigitalRights?src=hash
- #InfoSec - https://twitter.com/hashtag/InfoSec?src=hash
- #Cybersecurity - https://twitter.com/hashtag/cybersecurity?src=hash
Planet Citizens, Digital Rights @GreenPolicy360
Links via GreenPolicy's Digital360 Network
- Alliance for Affordable Internet - http://a4ai.org/
- ArcGIS Open Data Platform - https://opendata.arcgis.com/about
- ASPI Cyber Policy - http://cyberpolicy.aspi.org.au/
- Center for Data Innovation - http://www.datainnovation.org/ - http://www.datainnovation.org/2014/04/the-economic-impact-of-open-data/
- Center for Democracy and Technology - https://cdt.org/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/CenDemTech
- (TW) https://twitter.com/CenDemTech
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Democracy_and_Technology
- Citizen Lab - https://citizenlab.ca/
- Code for America - http://codeforamerica.org/issues/openness/
- CommonFutures EU/Int'l - http://CommonFutures.eu/the-future-of-open-possibly-the-largest-open-network-in-the-world
- Creative Commons - http://CreativeCommons.org
- Data.gov, US Government open data - http://www.data.gov/
- 124K+ data sets as of 2015 - http://www.data.gov/metrics
- EcoInforma http://www.data.gov/ecosystems/ecoinforma/
- Dbpedia - http://dbpedia.org/About
- Decent Security - http://www.decentsecurity.com/blog/
- Digital Bill of Rights - http://jameslosey.com/post/79356515492/an-overview-of-calls-for-rights-or-principles-for-the
- E Pluribus Unum, Dispatches on Open Government and Technology - http://e-pluribusunum.org/
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - https://www.eff.org/
- (RSS) https://www.eff.org/rss
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation
- (Parker Higgins-EFF) https://twitter.com/xor
- (recommended by EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) - https://www.epic.org/
- Energy and Environment Legislation Tracking Database (US) - http://NCSL.org/issues-research/energyhome/energy-environment-legislation-tracking-database.aspx
- eQualit.ie - https://equalit.ie/equalit-ie-manifesto/
- Advancing the International Bill of Human Rights - http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/Compilation1.1en.pdf
- Fact-Checking Projects
- Beginning with PolitiFact, the original project at Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolitiFact.com
- Fight for the Future - http://www.fightforthefuture.org/
- Freedom of Information Requests/Government Attic (US) - http://GovernmentAttic.org
- (TW) https://twitter.com/FreedomofPress
- (FreedomPress Organizations) https://freedom.press/organizations
- Freedom Online Coalition - http://www.freedomonline.ee/ - http://www.freedomonline.ee/about-us/Freedom-online-coalition
- Freenet - https://freenetproject.org/
- Fundar - http://fundar.org.mx/
- Future of the Internet (blog) - http://futureoftheinternet.org/blog/
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
- Github and Open Data update - https://github.com/project-open-data - http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/catch-my-diff-githubs-new-feature-means-big-things-for-open-data/283673/
- Global Digital Citizen Foundation - https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/
- Global Network Initiative - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org/
- Principles on Freedom of Expression and Privacy - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org//principles/index.php
- Global Open Data Initiative - http://GlobalOpenDataInitiative.org
- Global Partners - http://www.global-partners.co.uk/
- Global Voices - http://globalvoicesonline.org/-/topics/digital-activism/
- GNU Project - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project
- Government Accountability Project - http://www.whistleblower.org/
- Government Lab - http://thegovlab.org/
- GovFuturesLab - Reimagining governance for an age of planetary challenges and human responsibility
- GovLoop (US) training/social media/open gov - https://www.govloop.com/
- GovTrack - https://www.Govtrack.us/
- GreenPolicy360 / Digital Citizen - http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Digital_Citizen
- Information Technology and Innovation Foundation - http://www.itif.org/
- Institute for the Future - http://iftf.org/govfutures
- Internet Archive - Wayback Machine - https://archive.org/
- Internet.org "Connecting the World" - https://info.internet.org/en/
- Internet Bill of Rights / Internet Rights and Principles Coalition - http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/
- Internet Freedom Festival (IFF)
- Internet Governance Project - http://www.internetgovernance.org/
- Internet Society - http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/mission
- IT for Change (India) - http://www.itforchange.net/
- Linked Data - http://linkeddata.org/
- Mobile Commons - https://www.mobilecommons.com/about/
- Mozilla Foundation Webmaker Tools - https://webmaker.org/en-US/tools
- Muckrock News - https://www.muckrock.com/news/
- New Media Rights - http://www.newmediarights.org/
- Online Magna Carta - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/12/online-magna-carta-berners-lee-web 
- Open Access Publishing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
- Open Congress (U.S.) - https://www.opencongress.org/
- Open Data Institute UK-Int'l - http://TheODI.org/about-us - http://TheGuardian.com/public-leaders-network/2013/oct/22/open-data-institute-summit-gavin-starks
- Open Data movement_Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data
- Open Data Nation - http://www.opendatanation.com/ ("Smart Cities and Small Businesses")
- Open Data Research Network - http://opendataresearch.org/
- Open Data - World Bank - http://data.worldbank.org/
- OpenDemocracy - https://www.opendemocracy.net/about
- (TW) https://twitter.com/opendemocracy
- Open Government Initiative (US) - http://www.whitehouse.gov/open
- Open Government in Practice - https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24435672M/Open_Government
- Open Government Partnership - International - http://OpenGovPartnership.org
- Open Institute - http://openinstitute.com/
- Open Knowledge Foundation Lab - http://okfn.org/
- (Blog) PublicBodies.org - http://blog.okfn.org/2013/07/09/introducing-open-knowledge-foundation-labs/
- Open Rights Group - https://www.openrightsgroup.org/
- Open Science - http://opensciencefederation.com/
- Open Secrets/Center for Responsive Politics - http://www.opensecrets.org/
- Open Source @Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
- Open Source Hardware (wiki) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_hardware
- Open Standards Principles (UK) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-standards-principles/open-standards-principles
- Open State Foundation - http://www.openstate.eu/
- Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation - http://newamerica.org/oti/
- OpenGov Foundation - http://OpenGovFoundation.org
- OpenGov Hub - https://twitter.com/OpenGovHub
- OpenMedia International - https://openmedia.org/
- OpenNet Initiative - http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/opennet
- Peer 2 Peer-P2P Foundation - http://p2pfoundation.net/
- Personal Democracy Forum/Media - https://personaldemocracy.com/
- Civic Hall - http://civichall.org/
- Piwik analytics - http://piwik.org/
- Privacy Rights in the Digital Age (Published 2016)
- Project on Government Oversight - http://www.pogo.org/
- PublicAgenda - http://PublicAgenda.org
- Public Resource Org ("Making Government Information More Accessible") - https://public.resource.org/
- RDF Standards - http://W3.org/RDF
- Reform Government Surveillance - https://www.reformgovernmentsurveillance.com/
- Research Data Sharing without Barriers - https://RD-Alliance.org
- Reset the Net - https://www.resetthenet.org/
- SafeGov - http://www.safegov.org/
- Save Internet Privacy - https://www.saveinternetprivacy.org
- Save the Internet (US) - http://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home
- Schneier on Security - https://www.schneier.com/about.html
- Software Freedom Law Center - https://www.softwarefreedom.org/
- SpiderOak - https://spideroak.com/
- State Decoded - http://StateDecoded.com
- Sunlight Foundation - http://sunlightfoundation.com/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/sunlightfoundation
- (G+) https://plus.google.com/+sunlightfoundation/posts
- (TW) https://twitter.com/sunfoundation
- Measuring the Impact of Open Data
- The Constituent (US) - https://The-Constituent.com
- Thoughtworks - http://www.thoughtworks.com/
- UN/United Nations Promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism - https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/15/un-investigator-report-condemns-mass-surveillance/
- US Gov-EPA Databases - http://Water.EPA.gov/aboutow/owow/data.cfm
- VYPR VPN - http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn
- Web We Want (World Wide Web Foundation) - http://webfoundation.org/2013/12/announcing-the-web-we-want/ - https://webwewant.org/
- WebTAP / Web Transparency & Accountability Project (Princeton University) - https://webtap.princeton.edu/
- Jimmy Wales / Founder - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales
- Wikiversity - https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page
- World Summit on the Information Society +10/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Summit_on_the_Information_Society
- Worldwide Web Consortium - http://www.w3.org/
- WWW Origins-Foundation, est. by World Wide Web founder Tim Berners-Lee, "devoted to all people having access to the Web"
- WebFoundation.org -- "The Web Belongs to All of Us"
Green360 Popular Pages & Index of Files