Citizen Lab - https://citizenlab.ca/
Former and current Amazon employees who received stock grants have used them to submit a shareholder proposal asking the company to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels...
November / October 2018
Via Fast Company
This week, Berners-Lee will launch Inrupt, a startup that he has been building, in stealth mode, for the past nine months. Backed by Glasswing Ventures, its mission is to turbocharge a broader movement afoot, among developers around the world, to decentralize the web and take back power from the forces that have profited from centralizing it. In other words, it’s game on for Facebook, Google, Amazon. For years now, Berners-Lee and other internet activists have been dreaming of a digital utopia where individuals control their own data and the internet remains free and open. But for Berners-Lee, the time for dreaming is over.
“We have to do it now,” he says, displaying an intensity and urgency that is uncharacteristic for this soft-spoken academic. “It’s a historical moment.” Ever since revelations emerged that Facebook had allowed people’s data to be misused by political operatives, Berners-Lee has felt an imperative to get this digital idyll into the real world. In a post published this weekend, Berners-Lee explains that he is taking a sabbatical from MIT to work full time on Inrupt. The company will be the first major commercial venture built off of Solid, a decentralized web platform he and others at MIT have spent years building.
A Netscape for today’s internet
If all goes as planned, Inrupt will be to Solid what Netscape once was for many first-time users of the web: an easy way in. And like with Netscape, Berners-Lee hopes Inrupt will be just the first of many companies to emerge from Solid...
Disinformation, Misinformation and #DigitalRights: Limits of free speech
by Peter Van Buren
"I was devastated."
Tim Berners-Lee has seen his creation debased by everything from fake news to mass surveillance.
For people who want to make sure the Web serves humanity, we have to concern ourselves with what people are building on top of it”... Berners-Lee was speaking about the future of the Internet.
Network Earth, Planet Citizens Being Connected by a Global Internet
Read the latest (2018) annual statistics report (294-Page PDF Document).
GreenPolicy360's ecoOperatingSystem #eOS continues to evolve beyond-borders as an inter-relational network of networks...
Growth of the Internet and world-wide web, light and dark, is connecting and powering up #PlanetCitizens globally...
General Data Protection Regulation / GDPR
Via The Guardian / New York Times / Forbes
Via TechCrunch / May 19
- https://mydatarequest.com/ - Request your personal data from 100+ companies
Via Recode / May 16
European Union digital privacy regulation begins on May 25, 2018.
American businesses operating or digitally serving customers in the EU must comply.
General Data Protection Regulation
Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC
(Text with EEA relevance)
GreenPolicy360, hosted on the open MediaWiki platform
- A conversation with Katherine Maher about Wikipedia’s nonprofit structure and what incentive-based media models lack
How do you view Wikipedia and Wikimedia Foundation’s relationships with the major platforms — Google, Facebook, and so on. How would you characterize it?
For the most part, we grew up independently from most of the major platforms that dominate today. If you look around the biggest ones, we predate, I think, all of them but Google. At least of the ones that trade in knowledge and information. We were created for a very different purpose at a different time. The web that we came into actually had a number of larger collaborative, non-commercialized early projects, some of which still exist, and some of which don’t, that were more community-driven. And we sort of are a legacy of the original spirit of the web, and that’s very much what the Wikimedia Foundation was created to do — to ensure that Wikipedia was preserved as a nonprofit entity, with respect for community governance, and in the public interest and in the public spirit...
Read the full interview. Important reflections and go-forward observations about digital rights and the global future of the Internet.
More on the differences between Wikipedia, Wikimedia, MediaWiki, and wiki
- Op-Ed I'm on the FCC. Stop us from killing net neutrality -- http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-rosenworcel-fcc-net-neutrality-repeal-20171122-story.html
- The Backlash Is Building Over the Plan to Gut Net Neutrality -- https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/backlash-building-over-plan-gut-net-neutrality-n823436
FCC Rollback of "Network Neutrality" Regulations
- An Open Letter to the FCC -- https://medium.com/@AGSchneiderman/an-open-letter-to-the-fcc-b867a763850a
- What Could Happen and How It Could Affect You / The New York Times -- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/21/technology/net-neutrality-repeal-questions.html
- Why the Courts Will Have to Save Net Neutrality -- https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/opinion/courts-net-neutrality-fcc.html
- The FCC and Net Neutrality: Once Again, We Must Raise Our Voices -- https://shift.newco.co/the-fcc-and-net-neutrality-once-again-we-must-raise-our-voices-7c96fcb2f630 --
Inside the FCC's plan to end net neutrality -- https://www.axios.com/net-neutrality-2511425288.html
Trump's FCC announces plans to kill net neutrality: The people want net neutrality, but FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, announced his plan to take it away from them. With this, you can expect to see your internet bills go up -- http://www.zdnet.com/article/trumps-fcc-announces-plans-to-kill-net-neutrality/
FCC plan would give Internet providers power to choose the sites customers see and use -- https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/11/21/the-fcc-has-unveiled-its-plan-to-rollback-its-net-neutrality-rules/
Internet Threats Today and On the Horizon
- "Whether it is winter that is coming, or a new spring, it is entirely in our hands so long as we prepare."
- Permalinks for Internet Exploits News/Reports
- Read More:
- The Digital World, Free Software and Next Generation Internet
- ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Digital Rights in a Connected World
Digital Rights/OpenData OpenGov -- http://bit.ly/DigitalRightsLinks
Digital Rights Organizations @ GreenPolicy360
Digital Citizens - @ Wikipedia
Factoid: "The number of devices online reached 12.5 billion in 2010
& will grow to 25 billion in 2015 and 50 billion by 2020." -- MIT
Internet Access Worldwide
- Freedom on the Net_2014
- Tightening the Net: Governments Expand Online Controls-Summary
- Tightening the Net: Full Report PDF
Global Network Initiative - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org/
- Principles on Freedom of Expression and Privacy - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org//principles/index.php
Members of European Digital Rights have joined forces to defend civil rights in the information society. Currently, 33 privacy and civil rights organisations have a membership. They are based or have offices in 19 different countries in Europe.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Poynter Institute in St Petersburg, Florida is independent journalism in practice
- Poynter continues to provides 'best practices' for journalists/news organizations/writers
- With the launch of its PoliFact project, fact-checking has become a key best practice in an era of attacks on media and the press
Global Fact-Checking Projects in Countries around the World -- PolitiFact
PolitiFact has helped shape political fact-checking across the world...
- The history of PolitiFact: (2017) A decade since its start-up, PolitiFact has inspired 'truth seeking' with over a hundred fact-finding projects active around the world
International Internet Access / Privacy / Digital Rights
In 2015 the European Parliament (EP), members of the European Parliament (MEPs) and assistants from throughout the political spectrum – European Conservatives and Reformists Group (ECR), European United Left, Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL) and the Greens, European Free Alliance (Greens/EFA) – participated in the individual, customised training sessions.
Then There Are We Digital Natives
'I'm a Millennial, I was born Digital, I'm the Gen Y Generation
 Security State and Big Data
Part 1 – "A hidden world, growing beyond control"
Part 2 – "National Security Inc."
Part 3 – "The secrets next door"
Top Secret America The Rise of the New American Security State” by Dana Priest and William M. Arkin
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
GreenPolicy360 GreenLinks | permalink
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Digital Rights | Open Data - Open Gov
- #OpenAccess - https://twitter.com/hashtag/openaccess?src=hash
- #OpenData - https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenData?src=hash
- #DigitalRights - https://twitter.com/hashtag/DigitalRights?src=hash
- #InfoSec - https://twitter.com/hashtag/InfoSec?src=hash
- #Cybersecurity - https://twitter.com/hashtag/cybersecurity?src=hash
- Alliance for Affordable Internet - http://a4ai.org/
- ArcGIS Open Data Platform - https://opendata.arcgis.com/about
- ASPI Cyber Policy - http://cyberpolicy.aspi.org.au/
- Center for Data Innovation - http://www.datainnovation.org/ - http://www.datainnovation.org/2014/04/the-economic-impact-of-open-data/
- Center for Democracy and Technology - https://cdt.org/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/CenDemTech
- (TW) https://twitter.com/CenDemTech
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Democracy_and_Technology
- Code for America - http://codeforamerica.org/issues/openness/
- CommonFutures EU/Int'l - http://CommonFutures.eu/the-future-of-open-possibly-the-largest-open-network-in-the-world
- Creative Commons - http://CreativeCommons.org
- Data.gov, US Government open data - http://www.data.gov/
- 124K+ data sets as of 2015 - http://www.data.gov/metrics
- EcoInforma http://www.data.gov/ecosystems/ecoinforma/
- Dbpedia - http://dbpedia.org/About
- Decent Security - http://www.decentsecurity.com/blog/
- Digital Bill of Rights - http://jameslosey.com/post/79356515492/an-overview-of-calls-for-rights-or-principles-for-the
- E Pluribus Unum, Dispatches on Open Government and Technology - http://e-pluribusunum.org/
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - https://www.eff.org/
- (RSS) https://www.eff.org/rss
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation
- (Parker Higgins-EFF) https://twitter.com/xor
- (recommended by EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) - https://www.epic.org/
- Energy and Environment Legislation Tracking Database (US) - http://NCSL.org/issues-research/energyhome/energy-environment-legislation-tracking-database.aspx
- eQualit.ie - https://equalit.ie/equalit-ie-manifesto/
- Advancing the International Bill of Human Rights - http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/Compilation1.1en.pdf
- Fact-Checking Projects - http://www.poynter.org/2016/there-are-96-fact-checking-projects-in-37-countries-new-census-finds/396256/
- Beginning with PolitiFact, the original project at Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolitiFact.com
- Fight for the Future - http://www.fightforthefuture.org/
- Freedom of Information Requests/Government Attic (US) - http://GovernmentAttic.org
- (TW) https://twitter.com/FreedomofPress
- (FreedomPress Organizations) https://freedom.press/organizations
- Freedom Online Coalition - http://www.freedomonline.ee/ - http://www.freedomonline.ee/about-us/Freedom-online-coalition
- Freenet - https://freenetproject.org/
- Fundar - http://fundar.org.mx/
- Future of the Internet (blog) - http://futureoftheinternet.org/blog/
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
- Github and Open Data update - https://github.com/project-open-data - http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/catch-my-diff-githubs-new-feature-means-big-things-for-open-data/283673/
- Global Network Initiative - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org/
- Principles on Freedom of Expression and Privacy - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org//principles/index.php
- Global Open Data Initiative - http://GlobalOpenDataInitiative.org
- Global Partners - http://www.global-partners.co.uk/
- Global Voices - http://globalvoicesonline.org/-/topics/digital-activism/
- GNU Project - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project
- Government Accountability Project - http://www.whistleblower.org/
- Government Lab - http://thegovlab.org/
- GovFuturesLab - Reimagining governance for an age of planetary challenges and human responsibility
- GovLoop (US) training/social media/open gov - https://www.govloop.com/
- GovTrack - https://www.Govtrack.us/
- Information Technology and Innovation Foundation - http://www.itif.org/
- Institute for the Future - http://iftf.org/govfutures
- Internet.org "Connecting the World" - https://info.internet.org/en/
- Internet Bill of Rights / Internet Rights and Principles Coalition - http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/
- Internet Freedom Festival (IFF)
- Internet Governance Project - http://www.internetgovernance.org/
- Internet Society - http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/mission
- IT for Change (India) - http://www.itforchange.net/
- Linked Data - http://linkeddata.org/
- Mobile Commons - https://www.mobilecommons.com/about/
- Mozilla Foundation Webmaker Tools - https://webmaker.org/en-US/tools
- New Media Rights - http://www.newmediarights.org/
- Online Magna Carta - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/12/online-magna-carta-berners-lee-web 
- Open Access Publishing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
- Open Congress (U.S.) - https://www.opencongress.org/
- Open Data Institute UK-Int'l - http://TheODI.org/about-us - http://TheGuardian.com/public-leaders-network/2013/oct/22/open-data-institute-summit-gavin-starks
- Open Data movement_Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data
- Open Data Research Network - http://opendataresearch.org/
- Open Data - World Bank - http://data.worldbank.org/
- OpenDemocracy - https://www.opendemocracy.net/about
- (TW) https://twitter.com/opendemocracy
- Open Government Initiative (US) - http://www.whitehouse.gov/open
- Open Government in Practice - https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24435672M/Open_Government
- Open Government Partnership - International - http://OpenGovPartnership.org
- Open Institute - http://openinstitute.com/
- Open Knowledge Foundation Lab - http://okfn.org/
- (Blog) PublicBodies.org - http://blog.okfn.org/2013/07/09/introducing-open-knowledge-foundation-labs/
- Open Rights Group - https://www.openrightsgroup.org/
- Open Science - http://opensciencefederation.com/
- Open Secrets/Center for Responsive Politics - http://www.opensecrets.org/
- Open Source @Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
- Open Source Hardware (wiki) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_hardware
- Open Standards Principles (UK) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-standards-principles/open-standards-principles
- Open State Foundation - http://www.openstate.eu/
- Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation - http://newamerica.org/oti/
- OpenGov Foundation - http://OpenGovFoundation.org
- OpenGov Hub - https://twitter.com/OpenGovHub
- OpenMedia International - https://openmedia.org/
- OpenNet Initiative - http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/opennet
- Peer 2 Peer-P2P Foundation - http://p2pfoundation.net/
- Personal Democracy Forum/Media - https://personaldemocracy.com/
- Civic Hall - http://civichall.org/
- Piwik analytics - http://piwik.org/
- Privacy Rights in the Digital Age (Published 2016)
- Project on Government Oversight - http://www.pogo.org/
- PublicAgenda - http://PublicAgenda.org
- Public Resource Org ("Making Government Information More Accessible") - https://public.resource.org/
- RDF Standards - http://W3.org/RDF
- Reform Government Surveillance - https://www.reformgovernmentsurveillance.com/
- Research Data Sharing without Barriers - https://RD-Alliance.org
- Reset the Net - https://www.resetthenet.org/
- SafeGov - http://www.safegov.org/
- Save the Internet (US) - http://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home
- Schneier on Security - https://www.schneier.com/about.html
- Software Freedom Law Center - https://www.softwarefreedom.org/
- SpiderOak - https://spideroak.com/
- State Decoded - http://StateDecoded.com
- Sunlight Foundation - http://sunlightfoundation.com/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/sunlightfoundation
- (G+) https://plus.google.com/+sunlightfoundation/posts
- (TW) https://twitter.com/sunfoundation
- Measuring the Impact of Open Data
- The Constituent (US) - https://The-Constituent.com
- Thoughtworks - http://www.thoughtworks.com/
- UN/United Nations Promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism - https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/15/un-investigator-report-condemns-mass-surveillance/
- US Gov-EPA Databases - http://Water.EPA.gov/aboutow/owow/data.cfm
- VYPR VPN - http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn
- Web We Want (World Wide Web Foundation) - http://webfoundation.org/2013/12/announcing-the-web-we-want/ - https://webwewant.org/
- WebTAP / Web Transparency & Accountability Project (Princeton University) - https://webtap.princeton.edu/
- Jimmy Wales / Founder - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales
- Wikiversity - https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page
- World Summit on the Information Society +10/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Summit_on_the_Information_Society
- Worldwide Web Consortium - http://www.w3.org/
- WWW Origins-Foundation, established by World Wide Web founder Tim Berners-Lee, "devoted to all people having access to the Web" - WebFoundation.org
- March 2017 Open Letter from Berners-Lee on Threats to the Web
- 1) "We’ve lost control of our personal data"; 2) "It’s too easy for misinformation to spread on the web"; 3) "Political advertising online needs transparency and understanding"
- We must work together with web companies to strike a balance that puts a fair level of data control back in the hands of people.
- We must fight against government over-reach in surveillance laws, including through the courts if necessary.
- We must push back against misinformation. We urgently need to close the “internet blind spot” in the regulation of political campaigning.