Make a difference, join with GreenPolicy360's global work
Earth Imaging-New Space
- Reefscape, Another New Way to View, Watch Over & Care for Our Common Home
- Methane, We're Watching
- Detecting methane from space
- "There has been quite a buzz around this unique advancement in space, and the valuable data it will provide on methane, a powerful greenhouse gas that accounts for a quarter of the warming our planet is experiencing today. Curbing anthropogenic methane emissions is one of the most efficient and economical options available to slow the rate of warming over the next few decades, while efforts continue to reduce CO2 emissions worldwide."
- The Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is planning to be the first environmental group to send its own satellite into space.
- “We need good solid data so that we really can support global action on climate change, and we’ve got to do it fast,” says Steven Hamburg, the EDF’s chief scientist.
- The most detailed measurements currently available of atmospheric methane concentrations currently come from a sensor aboard the European Space Agency’s Sentinel-5P spacecraft, which launched in October 2017. The Tropospheric Monitoring Instrument provides global coverage at a resolution of nearly 50 square kilometres, but those measurements do not capture the dispersed sources of emissions from oil and gas fields.
- Commercial firms have developed high-resolution sensors that can be placed aboard 10-centimetre-sided CubeSats to measure emissions from individual wells or other facilities. Those data are proprietary, however, and the measurements cannot be scaled up to the level of an entire oil and gas field.
- The Environmental Defense Fund team is designing MethaneSAT to provide more-precise measurements, at a resolution of 1 square kilometre, with global coverage at least once a week.
- Earth Science from Space
- New Ways to See & Take 'Earth Action'
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Earth_Science_Research_from_Space - Earth Science from Space
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Climate_News - Climate News
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Earth_Observations - Earth Observations
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/New_Definitions_of_National_Security - New Definitions of National Security
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Environmental_Security - Environmental Security
- Global Forest Watch (Google Earth Outreach / Bioneer Rebecca Moore)
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
○ ○ ○ ○
Planet Labs is now just 'Planet'
Announcement - June 12, 2016
An API for the Planet #PlanetLabs
- Open Source Conference keynote API / An Open Sourced Discovery
Planet Labs 'Dove' micro-satellites Flock 1
"Rapid cadence imagery, like Planet Labs is developing, helps us become better, more sustainable stewards of Earth."
Visit Planet's Earth Images Gallery
○ ○ ○ ○
2103 / 2014
Startups -- NextGen #earthscience in an era of #climatechange and #globalsecurity threat
New Space era - startups to watch (our eyes are especially on Planet Labs)
- BlackBridge -- http://www.blackbridge.com/
- Dauria -- http://dauriaspace.com/DigitalGlobe
- DigitalGlobe -- https://www.digitalglobe.com/]
- DigitalGlobe, highest rez commercially avail #earthimaging from space   
- GeoOptics -- http://geooptics.com/
- NovaWurks -- http://www.novawurks.com/index.html
- OmniEarth [http://www.marketwatch.com/story/omniearth-announces-partnership-to-create-global-satellite-constellation-and-extensive-hosted-payload-opportunity-2014-05-20  ,
- OrbitLogic -- http://www.orbitlogic.com/
- PlanetiQ -- http://www.planetiq.com/
- Skybox -- http://arstechnica.com/business/2014/06/google-buys-satellite-imaging-company-skybox-for-500-million/  
- Teledyne --http://www.tbe.com/
- Tyvak Nano-Sat -- http://tyvak.com/
- Urthecast -- http://www.urthecast.com/
“With all these start-ups, the things you’ll be able to do with satellite images will grow exponentially.” - IEEE-May 2014
Moving from almost exclusively multi-billion dollar military/defense-communication satellite operations to nextgen 'small cap' startups and 'New Space' ventures and applications with earth systems monitoring, resources, sustainable business, and low-earth orbit.