- Act Now
Ahlan wa sahlan Kyo-so-ba-thi Huanying guanglin Hartelijk Welkom Bonvenu Teretulemast Tervetuloa Soyez la bienvenue Failte Herzlich Willkommen Aloha E Komo Mai Baruch haba Selamat datang Benvenuti Irasshaimase Merhba Velkommen Khosh amadid Serdecznie witamy! Bemvindos Dobro pozhalovat’ Dobrodosli Bienvenida Va’lkommen
Welcome Planet Citizens... In many languages GreenPolicy360 welcomes you!
Steven J Schmidt (SJS) - Siterunner: Our Planet Citizens work began decades ago in the early years of the Environmental movement. With PlanetCitizen.org we grew into a worldwide network for green activists, organizing and politics. Our vision is life affirming with hope for improving Quality of Life. With our GreenLinks, a global eco-network with tens of millions of shares, visits and Green Best Practices, we believe Planet Citizen Action by each of us can create positive change.
"Our loyalties are to the species and the planet. We speak for Earth. Our obligation to survive is owed not just to ourselves but also to that Cosmos, ancient and vast, from which we spring." -- Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Our Planet Looks Out at Our Galaxy
The Milky Way - Photo by Andrew McCarthy, 2023
- Strategies of Resilience & Survival
You are part of a global circle of friends and a whole earth point of view.
You are creating waves of ideals, ideas and action together with Planet Citizens across Planet Earth. You are a modern environmental movement, a new generation stepping up with new vision, realizing the challenge of new responsibilities 'in our hands'.
We reach across the Earth. We are interconnected, sharing green stories and green best practices. We are Planet Citizens and Planet Citizens, Planet Scientists ... We believe in Planet Citizen Action ...
Kids in 123 countries strike to protect the climate
“This movement had to happen, we didn’t have a choice.”
An estimated 1.4 million young people in 123 countries skipped school Friday to demand stronger climate policies in what may be one of the largest environmental protests in history.
- Look around our living earth, wonderful & challenging world, our home, our only home. We fly on as Planet Citizens...
- "Thin Blue", Earth's Life-enabling Atmosphere
- Earthviews 🌎
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Blue_Marble_Collection | Blue Marble Collection
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/File:Apollo.jpg | "Earthrise"
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Virtual_Earth | Earth Mapping-GIS
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Earth_Observations | Earth Observations
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Earth_Science_Research_from_Space | Earth Science from Space
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/@Earth360 | Earth360
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/HelloEarth | Hello Earth
New Visions of Security
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Environmental_Security | Environmental Security
- Have hope, act to make a difference
- Rethinking Security in a Changing World
- Environmental Security & National Security
The Original Mission Statement of NASA (1958) provided Congressional intent and guidance to the first generation of space programs. GreenPolicy360's founder heard Congressman George E. Brown Jr speak often of the 'home planet' earth science mission ...
From the original NASA space program Mission Statement:
“To understand and protect our home planet; to explore the universe and search for life; to inspire the next generation of explorers ... as only NASA can.”
- Our life-enabling thin blue layer of atmosphere
First Whole Earth Point of View as photo-recorded by an 'Astronaut' Planet Citizen
December 7, 1972, the date on which the only picture photographed by a human of the Whole Earth was captured on NASA camera.
NASA named our first Whole Earth Planet Image ... AS17-148-22727
Watch Planet Earth today majestic in Ultra High Definition Video
Facing the Challenges of Protecting & Preserving Life
Planet Citizens Watching Over the Whole Earth
Support Your Favorite Green Public Interest Group
- Visit GreenLinks @GreenPolicy360
- Spring in Santa Fe
Joan Halifax and Cristiana Figueres
"The eyes of the future are looking back at us and they are praying for us to see beyond our own time." -- Terry Tempest Williams
Joan Halifax, American Zen Buddhist teacher, anthropologist, ecologist, civil rights activist, hospice caregiver, and the author of several books on Buddhism and spirituality. She currently serves as abbot and guiding teacher of Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe, New Mexico ...
Christiana Figueres, Co-author, "The Future We Choose" ... Christiana was appointed to head the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in July 2010... During the next six years she worked to build the global climate change negotiating process, leading to the 2015 Paris Agreement, widely recognized as a historical achievement. Over the years Figueres has worked in the fields of climate change, sustainable development, energy, land use, and technical and financial cooperation.
So please, with me, just close your eyes for just a moment, and imagine the world as it should be. A world of peace, trust, and empathy, bringing out the best that we can be.
Open your eyes. Now go, we have to make it happen. Please, let’s hold the line together. Thank you.
Climate Science at the Forefront as New Nobel Prizes Are Announced
Musicians Across Five Continents
Planet Citizens, Planet Artists... Playing for Change
'The Weight', Sharing the Music
Left & Right & Independent
Planets Citizens Caring for Home
'Crunchy Conservatives' & Conservationism
Aldo Leopold and Regenerative Agriculture, Protecting & Preserving the Land We Love, Stewardship & Faith
Young & Old, On the Move to Make a Positive Difference
Two Planet Citizens
- Time for Planet Citizen Action 🌎
Planet Citizen, Planet Scientist answers your questions
- Your Life Is Your Message
Covering Climate Now
The Guardian steps up climate coverage with a new collective
Visit & Bookmark Guardian's Climate News Site. Check in Daily.
Do Something Now About Climate News, Make a Difference in Your World.
U.S. Presidential Candidates Need to 'Step It Up'
- "Tonight’s debate made it crystal clear that the media and the political establishment are out of touch with our generation," said Varshini Prakash, executive director of the Sunrise Movement, advocate for the Green New Deal. "Our survival is worth more time than vague, irrelevant, and trivial questions posed 80 minutes into the debate to a few minor candidates."
GreenPolicy360: In 2016, during all the US presidential debates, a climate-related questions were rarely asked. Tonight (June 26th) the US Democratic Party starts their presidential campaign debate, in Miami, even as the current US president denies the climate change big picture... the climate/global atmospheric threat, existential challenges, national/state and local #ClimateCrisis impacts.
For decades now the GreenPolicy team has warned of the gathering crisis and we have urged a New Vision, a strategic vision with New Definitions of National and Global Security. The time is now for the Democratic Party to step it up and face the great challenge of our generation -- climate disruption, climate crisis.
In Florida, the consequences of sea level rise are vivid and VERY real.
Globally, this is an existential crisis, climate disruption, that is, atmospheric disruption, what GreenPolicy360 calls the disruption of the "thin blue layer", earth's life protecting atmosphere.
Speaking of global security and protection/preservation of the atmosphere, watch this scientist talk of the clear and present dangers of nuclear war. We are "one mistake away" from nuclear war initiated by any of the nuclear weapons countries (the US, Russia, China, India, Pakistan, Israel, France, the UK, North Korea) leading to global winter and collapse of civilization.
Planet Citizens action, concerted action now, is essential to protect our common security and prevent threats to life and health, our future well being and security.
Planet Citizen Greta Speaks to the European Union
Our Planet's #PlanetCitizen David Attenborough... “Fifty years ago, we didn’t even realize what the problem was. Maybe thirty years ago we did recognize what the problem was but didn’t know much about it, thinking, 'That’s way in the future'. Now we know that it’s right here ahead of us.”
"We don't know a planet like this." That was the reaction of meteorologist Eric Holthaus to news that atmospheric carbon dioxide levels have reached heights not seen in the entirety of human existence -- not history, existence.
According to data from the Mauna Loa Observatory in Hawaii, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere is over 415 parts per million (ppm), far higher than at any point in the last 800,000 years, since before the evolution of homo sapiens.
A Tip of the Green Hat to 21st Century Planet Citizens, Observing, Caring, and Acting to Make a Positive Difference
- Sylvia Earle
- Bill McKibben
- David Brower
A personal and profound thanks to California Governor Jerry Brown as he leaves office after four active, visionary terms out in front on the state and global stage, a Planet Citizen who is promising to continue his work to face the existential crisis of climate change and global nuclear weapons.
JB: "I'm a planetary realist. We are linked in this community of people, 7.3, 7.4 billion people whether it's cyber, or the international monetary system, or weather, or disease, or climate change or habitat destruction, or if there's a nuclear war. For the first time in history we're all linked together. So there is a planetary quality to our politics, or there should be."
SJS / GreenPolicy360 Siterunner:
Nearing 50 Years On, a Personal Look Back to 1970 and the First Earth Day
Across the US, a first Earth Day of teach-ins began as a student-initiated movement on college campuses including your GreenPolicy siterunner's college at the University of Southern California. Earth Day teach-ins reached out to students globally. The dream we had was to build a peace movement across borders and to envision and create a new environmental movement. Soon a worldwide environmental movement was in the process of becoming real with ideas, green practices, agendas and initiatives. Green politics began to grow as a political force...
"I am convinced that the same concern the youth of this nation took in changing this nation's priorities on the war in Vietnam and on civil rights can be shown for the problems of the environment. Successful teach-ins on all campuses on the same day will have a dramatic impact on the environmental conscience of the nation. They will be immensely effective as an educational effort in arousing public opinion..."
-- Senator Gaylord Nelson, April 23, 1970 at the University of Southern California
Memories on the Road to the First Earth Day
By Steve Schmidt
Recalling the beginnings of the "modern environmental movement" and "Whole Earth" awareness, GreenPolicy360 introduced "Planet Citizens" @ www.planetcitizen.org and www.planetcitizens.org. Planet Citizen action works to secure and protect our home planet in the 21st century and for generations who will follow us.
The first-images of 'home' delivered in the late 1960s begin a new awareness of humanity's place on a singular planet, a "fragile" blue-green planet. Astronauts frequently spoke of their experience looking back at Earth as life altering. Perhaps as time goes on, new immersive and virtual reality technologies will bring an approximation of an astronaut's point of view. Perhaps the realization's 'Above' will begin to change the old ways, the tribal ways, the walls of nationalism, conflict and war and shift to a new vision, a perspective that values all of us as planet citizens.
"Decades have past now since experiencing the visual wonder of those first visions of our Whole Earth, Planet Earth and still we are only beginning our journey as planet citizens...."
"To see the Whole Earth daily from the DSCOVR mission is going to be a spectacular re-reminder of our place in the cosmos..." -- Steven Schmidt / GreenPolicy Siterunner, assisting the NASA DSCOVR-EPIC team in the release of "selfies almost a million miles from home".
- Overview and Perspective
See and experience the Earth in new ways
Whole Earth POV
A coming era of #Earth360 exploration, using the tools of the digital age and Internet connectivity, is making it possible to see a connected, whole Planet Earth and to begin studying life-enabling systems (and life-threatening changes) as with means never before possible. Space- and earth-based observation platforms are delivering "intelligence reports" in effect, strategic insights that can broaden our knowledge and perceptions of who we are and how we respond to our global, common future.
In unprecedented ways, intelligence about our planet's systems can be shared and networked via the worldwide web and larger Internet linking us whatever our nation and wherever our community.
We look out at a critical, developing field of #EnvironmentalSecurity and "New Definitions of National Security".
At GreenPolicy360, we are Planet Citizens and we hold a simple value proposition:
- Cleaner air and water and food is a good thing. Reducing pollution is a necessary thing. Health of our environment is a vital thing.
- Science is essential to 'measure and manage' #PlanetEarth in sustainable, productive, life enhancing ways.
An API for the Planet
Visit Planet Labs @ www.Planet.com
Planet Labs 'Dove' micro-satellites
"Rapid cadence imagery, like Planet Labs is developing, helps us become better, more sustainable stewards of Earth."
"New Space" Updates / 2019/2018:
Environmental Protection with Space Monitoring
- 21st Century definitions of national and international security
A realization that "Security is indivisible" is on the horizon and security definitions are changing as a result of the dynamics of interactive networks.
The sharing of information is creating a new science of networking. Information is being looked at as never before and #earthscience data is now being collected by networked computers across an interconnected world. In historic ways, open data is being publicly distributed far beyond the restrictive policies of previous times and closed-loop systems.
Today #earthsciences are at the cusp of a rich new world of information. As we share these new realizations, images, data, experiences and understandings, we can be certain of a new, growing awareness of our planet and our 'citizenship' together.
Even now, we have inklings of what is coming. Let's look at one called OCO-2. With the launch of OCO-2, a "game changer", in the summer of 2014, the data of #Earth360 will grow in unprecedented ways as this first orbiting observatory of global warming conditions takes to space and begins to report home - I am OCO-2
Although the Orbiting Carbon Observatory is just the beginning, the future of #earthobserving is here as we see in new ways and observe our environment with new information never before accessible. Space-imaging is opening up amazing views, with 3D and big-screens and home theaters. Coming soon will be views beyond IMAX as companies like Virgin and SpaceX carry citizen travelers into orbit. Educational and scientific information about our communities is being shared, and linked to, and distributed around the Net. From space, the earth is borderless and with vision of the planet as a common #biosphere and #ecosystem comes responsibility for our shared security.
We are all connected and wherever we are, geographically, nationally, we share a common ground.
Let's look at our home and with an 'overview' from space, see the 'Big Picture' and let's look at the details, let's manage and sustain our earth resources and, as we go, look to our shared quality of life onboard the "only home we've ever known."
Here's to our future and future of #StrategicDemands #Environmental Security
The Big Picture: Earth from Space
The world of space is a world in flux. The term "New Space" has come to represent a first generation of start ups that are designing, building and launching small, mini- and micro-satellites. New players are challenging the old system of governments that spend billions to explore, commercialize and militarize space. Barriers to entry are being broken and start-up companies are launching flocks of satellite birds into space. Earth monitoring is going planetary and nextgen companies are at the forefront, even as the "old" establishment is shifting to address threats to the environment.
Let's go there to this new world, not a 'new world order' but a world that is being connected and is sharing, linking and seeing the bigger picture. The way we observe and 'feel' about our planet is changing in one generation.
Beginning with the first Whole Earth pictures, we have for the first time in humankind's history experienced a vision of our planet from afar -- we are, we realize, a living planet, an oasis in space.
Today, forty+ years after the Apollo mission's revealing images of blue #planetearth, "citizens of the planet" are becoming a "New Space" generation with mini-sats sending and sharing full-spectrum imaging with a life-altering array of new views of our planet.
Apollo's famous iconic images are being enhanced and extended with new ways of seeing and experiencing of our planet -- and opening new possibilities to secure our environment for ages to come.
Add your talent to the grand project of seeing with an EarthPOV -- so that we can make informed decisions and policy...
Join up with GreenPolicy360 and our GreenLinks network.
Confront the challenges of #climatechange, #environmentalsecurity and #globalsecurity...
Choose to act. Time to get going -- planet citizens @work!
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
"Greening Our Blue Planet" with forward-looking vision
○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○
-- #Earth360 #PlanetCitizen #PlanetCitizens
Remembering the First Earth Summit in 1992
GreenPolicy360 Siterunner: Thirty years ago and now I'm older and looking back at the first "Earth Summit" that led to the first global climate 'Conference of the Parties'. My reports to the Environmental News Service (ENS) picked up on the green, environmental platform planks I was also adding to the Platform in Progress for California Governor Jerry Brown's presidential campaign. The first Earth Summit and Governor Brown's energetic efforts both moved a vital, forward-looking vision and both encountered myriad obstacles from powers-that-be and business-as-usual. The obstacles didn't stop before or after 1992. The work continued on and continues to today... November 2021, fifty years on...
I'm now remembering and picking up and continuing the threads of Representative George E. Brown's work to advance climate science, beginning in earnest with the first National Climate Act of 1978 and establishment of the Office of Science and Technology Policy to push what was called a "big science, earth science" agenda with the first generation of focused earth studies and science, measuring and monitoring 'the Commons' , earth's atmosphere, natural resources (e.g., Landsat's start up and a deep, multi-decade array of NASA/NOAA/USGS missions that have now continued for half a century.
Here's to Opportunities for Citizen Activism
- http://www.planetcitizen.org | PlanetCitizen.org
- http://www.planetcitizens.org | PlanetCitizens.org
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Planet_Citizens,_Planet_Scientists | Planet Citizens, Planet Scientists
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Planet_Citizen_Action | Planet Citizen Action
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Climate_Problems,_Climate_Solutions | Climate Problems, Climate Solutions
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Generation_Green | "Generation Green"
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Going_Green | #GoingGreen
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Green_Quotes | Green Quotes
Climate Action Plans 360
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Climate_Plans_Enforcement_-_Resources | GrnPolicy360: Climate Plans Enforcement Initiative
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/File:Methods_to_enforce_climate_pledges-NDCs_-_Dec_2021.png | Methods to Enforce Climate Plan Pledges
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:INDC | Pressuring Nations to Step Up, Cooperate, and Act Now
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/File:Global_Stocktake,_the_first_GST.jpg | Com't on Earth Observation Satellites (launching in 2023)
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Environmental_Laws | Environmental Laws, Regs, Rules... Lawsuits & Legal Actions
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Glasgow_Climate_Summit_-_Pledges,_Promises,_Declarations_-_What%27s_Next_Up | Glasgow (2021) & Paris (2015) Summits: Int'l Climate Plan Pledges & Promises (INDCs-NDCs)
Biodiversity, Protecting Life
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Biodiversity | Biodiversity
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/All_Species_Day | All Species Day
New Visions of Security
- http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/New_Definitions_of_National_Security | New Definitions of National Security
Fact-Checking, 'Facts Count'
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Disinformation_-_Online_-_Dangerous | Disinformation-Misinformation
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Fact_Checking | Fact Checking @GreenPolicy360
- https://reporterslab.org/fact-checkers-extend-their-global-reach-with-391-outlets-but-growth-has-slowed/ | 100+ Countries-391 Fact-Checking Sites (2022)
- https://reporterslab.org/update-237-fact-checkers-in-nearly-80-countries-and-counting/ | 80 Countries-237 Fact-Checking Sites (2020)
- https://reporterslab.org/number-of-fact-checking-outlets-surges-to-188-in-more-than-60-countries/ | 60 Countries-188 Fact-Checking Sites (2019)
- http://reporterslab.org/global-fact-checking-up-50-percent/ | 37 Countries-96 Fact-Checking Sites (2016)
- https://www.poynter.org/mediawise/ | MediaWise for Teens
- http://www.politifact.com/ | PolitiFact via Poynter
- https://www.poynter.org/ifcn/ | Poynter Int'l Fact Checking Network
- http://www.poynter.org/category/fact-checking/ | Poynter Int'l List
- https://reporterslab.org/fact-checking/ | Reporters Lab Fact-Checking News
Data, Intelligence, Science
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/File:You_can_manage_only_what_you_can_measure_Dr_David_Crisp,_OCO-2,_June_2014_m.jpg | Measure-to-Manage
GreenPolicy360 & Science
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/File:Good_science_needs_good_data_.png | GreenPolicy360, Facts & Data
- https://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Stats_-_Green_Research_%26_Science | GreenPolicy360, Our Policy on Science