Each of us can make a positive difference stepping up & doing our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land...
Water is one of the most basic of all needs - we cannot live for more than a few days without it. And yet, most people take water for granted. We waste water needlessly and don't realize that clean water is a very limited resource. More than 1 billion people around the world have no access to safe, clean drinking water, and over 2.5 billion do not have adequate sanitation service. Over 2 million people die each year because of unsafe water - and most of them are children!
~ Robert Alan Aurthur
Clean Water Act
Congress first passed the Federal Water Pollution Control Act in 1972. Amending the law five years later in what became known as the “Clean Water Act” Congress regulated by permit all end-of-pipe or "Point Source" discharges to navigable waters of the United States. In 1987, it extended the Clean Water Act to cover indirect or “Non-Point Source” pollution, most prevalent in stormwater runoff.
Stormwater runoff is water from rain or melting snow that flows from roofs, paved roads and parking lots, bare soil, and sloped lawns that cannot be absorbed in the ground. As it flows, the runoff collects pollutants like fertilizers, pesticides, oil and grease, animal wastes and sediments and carries them directly to coastal waters or to storm drains, which, in the case of coastal communities, often discharge to harbor waters. These pollutants restrict recreational use and degrade the marine habitat resulting in bathing beach closures and shellfish harvesting restrictions.
- • Nutrients: Nitrogen & phosphorous (fertilizers, animal wastes, septic discharge)
- • Man-Made Chemicals: Pesticides & herbicides
- • Pathogens: Bacteria & Viruses from pet waste and failing septic systems
- • Metals: Copper, Lead, Mercury, Chromium in car brake linings and tires
- • Hydrocarbons: Gasoline and Oil leaks from faulty tanks and improper disposal
- • Sediments: Dirt from road runoff and construction sites
- • Organic Materials: Oxygen depleting Leaves, Grass Clippings, Plant Materials
- • Trash and Debris: Litter is aesthetically unappealing and a hazard to wildlife
Check the Quality of Your City's Water
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) Tap Water Database
Water utilities' testing finds pollutants in Americans' tap water, according to an EWG drinking water quality analysis of 30 million state water records.
EWG took years to build their new website, pulling data from 28 million records from nearly 49,000 local utilities, along with state environmental agencies, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the agency’s Enforcement and Compliance History Online database. Each utility had the opportunity to review its data. Authorities tested for 500 contaminants in all, and detected 267 in one or more cases.
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
Pages in category "Clean Water"
The following 24 pages are in this category, out of 24 total.
Media in category "Clean Water"
The following 74 files are in this category, out of 74 total.
- AOC March 26, 2019.jpg
- Astro POV - Mike Massi...
- BantheBag California-O...
- Bloomberg Environment-...
- California re ban on P...
- Can California Climate...
- Can our environment be...
- Challenge of Acting fo...
- Clean water E4C.jpg
- Earth Day - DSCOVR-EPI...
- Earth Day Flag.png
- Environmental Studies-...
- EPA .jpg
- EPA History Xin Liu-20...
- Florida at crossroads-...
- Florida at historic en...
- Future of fresh water ...
- G Earth Outreach.jpg
- G7 Climate News.png
- G7 DJTclimatetweet.png
- G7 Split-2017.png
- Global Climate Action ...
- Green New Deal - Bloom...
- Green New Deal - Washi...
- Green New Deal positio...
- Harvest the Rain cover...
- Harvest the Rain revie...
- Limits to Growth scree...
- Michael Mann, planet c...
- National Climate Progr...
- OaklandWastewater plan...
- Poverty 2019.jpg
- Robert W Kates.jpg
- Scott pruitt epa.jpg
- Shrinking earth.jpg
- US Public Law 95-367.png
- USC Daily Trojan Sen N...
- Water shortage 4B peop...
- Water stress index map...
- Youth vote estimates 2...