Each of us can make a difference if we step up and try our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
Tom Hayden-Green Politics...In Memory
From Green Policy
On the passing of Tom Hayden
Politics of the Spirit: A Dream of California
- Excerpt / 1995
- "We spends billions annually simply for the fossil fuels wasted"
- "We are adrift between the Petrochemical Age and the Ecological Age"
- "The narrow band of hybrid seed stocks favored by traditional agribusiness relies on high inputs of petrochemical fertilizers,
- which have radically degraded the "ecological capital" of our soil and water"
- "Distrust of the political order and of politicians is rising"
- "...the common dependency candidates have on campaign contributions... candidates tend to think like the contributors..."
- "The effort to achieve campaign reform and lobbying reform... is about awakening the power of citizens to have meaningful lives"
- "Politics... about service, about aligning government with the needs of people and the planet"
- "The average working person has only 16 hours of leisure time each week, down from 26 hours only 20 years ago. There is a positive alternative..."
- "Thirty years ago, in the Port Huron Statement, we who began the 60s student movement wrote not only of political reform...
- but of the need to address 'lonliness, estrangement and isolation. We wrote that love and compassion should overcome the 'idolatry of worshiping things."