San Diego, CA Reduction in Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Status: Adopted on 9/16/97
RESOLUTION NUMBER R-289169
WHEREAS, the United States National Climate Change Action Plan seeks voluntary greenhouse gas reductions to enable the United States to stabilize its greenhouse gas emissions at 1990 levels by the year 2000; and
WHEREAS, energy consumption, specifically the burning of fossil fuels, for example: coal, oil and natural gas, account for more than 85% of the United States greenhouse emissions; and
WHEREAS, local governments greatly influence their community's energy usage by exercising key influence over such activities as land use, transportation, building construction and waste management, and thus, have the ability to play an important role in reducing greenhouse gas emissions; and
WHEREAS, local government actions that promote energy efficiency provide multiple local benefits by creating jobs, reducing energy expenditures, increasing local dollars in the local economy, decreasing air emissions, and saving money for the City government, its businesses and its citizens; and
WHEREAS, local government working with private industry and local businesses to increase energy efficiency of their operations not only provides direct benefits to their operations, but also to the community as a whole; and
WHEREAS, the Cities for Climate Change Protection Campaign, as supported by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and sponsored by the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives, offers The City of San Diego the following:
- Information and assistance on developing a local action plan which through energy efficiency actions and the use of alternative transportation fuels will achieve the above identified benefits; and
- Funding in the amount of $44,000 to support energy efficiency and alternative transportation programs which will result in local companies becoming participants in the Climate Wise Program and the implementation of The City of San Diego's Energy Efficiency Retrofits and Alternative Transportation Fuel Project;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the Council of The City of San Diego, that this City pledges its participation in the Climate Wise Local Government/Industrial Partnership and the Cities for Climate Change Protection Campaign and authorizes acceptance of grant funding in the amount of $44,000.00.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that as a participant in the Cities for Climate Protection Campaign, The City of San Diego pledges to:
- Take a leadership role in increasing energy efficiency and thereby reducing greenhouse gas emissions from municipal operations, including implementing the Energy Efficiency and Alternative Transportation Fuel Project; and
- Promote energy efficiency to the private sector by recruiting a minimum of 12 local industrial and manufacturing companies to participate in the Climate Wise Program; and
- Develop a local action plan to increase energy efficiency and reduce greenhouse gas emissions throughout the community.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the City Manager be and she is hereby authorized and empowered to negotiate and execute, for and on behalf of said City, an agreement with the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI) defining ICLEI roles in the project, under the terms and conditions set forth in the agreement, on file in the office of the City Clerk as Document No. RR-__________________.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the expenditure of $44,000 from the grant proceeds to the above-mentioned agreement with International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives, and $9,000 in-kind contribution from the City's existing budgeted funds as the City's match is hereby authorized.