Bainbridge Island, WA Promoting Renewable Energy
Status: Adopted on 8/3/05
RESOLUTION NO. 2005-28
A RESOLUTION of the City of Bainbridge Island, Washington, to promote, encourage and support public and private efforts to advance the utilization of renewable energy in our community.
WHEREAS, the City of Bainbridge Island and its citizens are committed, through the goals of the Comprehensive Plan, to a socially, economically and environmentally healthy community; and
WHEREAS, the Environmental Element of the Comprehensive Plan, Goal 3.2, calls for the promotion of “energy conservation measures such as: "adopting incentive programs and design standards that encourage the employment of renewable energy sources and energy efficient appliances on the Island;” and
WHEREAS, the Utilities Element of the Comprehensive Plan, Goals U 1.7 and U 1.8 state, respectively: “The City shall facilitate the conversion to cost effective and environmentally sensitive alternative technologies and energy sources,” and “The City shall facilitate and encourage conservation of resources;” and
WHEREAS, we acknowledge and support the introduction of the comprehensive national clean energy policy, the New Apollo Energy Act (H.R. 2828), to the United States Congress; and
WHEREAS, we acknowledge and support the work of the State of Washington to promote high standards for energy efficient building practices through legislation such as the “green buildings” bill (S.B. 5509) for schools and other public buildings, and
WHEREAS, we acknowledge our responsibility, as a community, to make decisions at the local level, that support the preservation and conservation of natural resources by choosing and promoting energy efficient practices, technology and materials for our homes, our public buildings and in private development;
NOW BE IT RESOLVED, the City Council of the City of Bainbridge Island, Washington, reaffirms its commitment to the conservation of natural resources, the utilization of renewable energy technology, and the related Goals of the Comprehensive Plan by:
1. Fostering and encouraging environmentally sound private and public development and building practices.
2. Encouraging design and building professionals and business people, in general, to explore and consider integrating renewable energy methods and technology, including Passive Solar, Photovoltaic (PV) and Solar Hot Water Systems in new projects and developments, as well the retrofitting of existing buildings.
3. Encouraging homeowners, home buyers, renters and consumers, in general, to consider, request and/or invest in renewable energy options.
4. Supporting and sponsoring community education activities and events, such as the Bainbridge Island Solar Outreach Workshop on August 27 at City Hall.
5. Considering and implementing incentive programs that acknowledge the utilization of renewable energy practices.
6. Continually evaluating City operations, facilities, services, and purchasing for opportunities to utilize renewable energy technology.