Each of us can make a positive difference by stepping up and doing our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
Norway’s $1tn wealth fund set to cut oil and gas stocks
Norway’s $1tn sovereign wealth fund is set to sell out of a host of oil and gas companies but stop short of abandoning the biggest energy majors such as BP and ExxonMobil as it prepares for one of the largest divestments of fossil fuel assets.
The Norwegian oil fund, which is the world’s largest sovereign investor, would dispose of about $7.5bn of oil and gas companies that are focused purely on exploration and production under the proposal from the centre-right government in Oslo.
The move is designed to reduce the dependence of Norway — western Europe’s biggest petroleum producer — on an industry that is facing growing questions about its long-term future. Global oil demand is forecast by many experts to peak by the 2030s while climate targets are speeding up efforts to reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
Financial Times: "Shockwaves through the energy sector"
Energy Priorities, Geo-politics & Fracking in the U.S.
Production Up, Priorities Go to Fossil Fuels
- New Fracking Production Technology Changes Near-term Projections
- Costs of Environmental Impacts Put Off by the Trump Administration
Let's Talk Coal
Elon Musk Talks Need for Alternatives to Fossil Fuels
"The greater the change to the chemical composition of the physical, chemical makeup of the oceans and atmosphere [due to increased carbon emissions], the greater the long-term effect will be... [W]hy would you run this crazy experiment to see how bad it'll be? We know it's at least some bad, and the overwhelming scientific consensus is that it'll be really bad."
“Even if you put the environmental consequences of dramatically changing the chemical composition of the oceans and atmosphere aside, we will eventually run out of oil...
"If we don’t find a solution to burning oil for transport, and we then run out of oil, the economy will collapse and civilization will come to an end as we know it. And so if we know that we have to ultimately get off oil no matter what — we know that is an inescapable outcome, it’s simply a question of when, not if...
"Then, why would you run this crazy experiment of changing the chemical composition of the atmosphere and oceans by adding enormous amounts of CO2 that’ve been buried since the pre-Cambrian era? That’s crazy. That is the dumbest experiment in history, by far. Can you think of a dumber experiment? I honestly cannot. What good could possibly come of it?”
Fossil Fuel Bubbles
World Oil Report
International Climate Policy Plans
Strategic Demands / Gas/Oil, Global Conflict
Costs of War
Oil, Power, and War follows the oil industry from its heyday when the first oil wells were drilled to the quest for new sources as old ones dried up. It traces the rise of the Seven Sisters and other oil cartels and exposes oil’s key role in the crises that have shaped our times: two world wars, the Cold War, the Great Depression, Bretton Woods, the 2008 financial crash, oil shocks, wars in the Middle East, the race for Africa’s oil riches, and more. And it defines the oil-born trends shaping our current moment, such as the jockeying for access to Russia’s vast oil resources, the search for extreme substitutes for declining conventional oil, the rise of terrorism, and the changing nature of economic growth.
(The Chelsea 2018 English edition book has been translated from the French title, Or Noir)
The author, Matthieu Auzanneau, is the director of The Shift Project, a European think tank focusing on energy transition and the resources required to make the shift to an economy free from fossil fuel dependence, and also from greenhouse gas emissions. Previously he was a journalist, based in France, and mostly writing for Le Monde. He continues to write his Le Monde blog, Oil Man, which he describes as “a chronicle of the beginning of the end of petroleum.” The original French edition of this book, Or Noir: La grande histoire du pétrole, was awarded the Special Prize of the French Association of Energy Economists in 2016.
ExxonMobile: A Case Study
- Wall Street Journal Editorial Board Meltsdown over Exxon with Bizarre Accusation: Like Cromwell Did Catholics?
- >U.S. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, Rhode Island Democrat, leading voice on climate change, locked in bitter brawl with Wall Street Journal editorial page over his proposal to sue fossil fuel companies for fraud
- NY's State Attorney and Calif's AG Go After ExxonMobil ♦ Exxon Bkrd ♦ Exxon, the Road Not Taken ♦ FBI Probe, More AGs Support Investigation of ExxonMobil
- >Money-in-Politics: Giants of the oil and gas industry spend millions in 2015 to manipulate lawmakers and public discourse on climate change
- Oil Change International ... "Exposing the true costs of fossil fuels"
- While Renewable Energy expands globally with a wide range of investments in energy alternatives to fossil fuels, ExxonMobil predicts "long-term energy demand growth", increased oil/gas profits and "gains in energy efficiency and increased use of renewable energy and lower carbon fuels such as natural gas likely will help lower by half the “carbon intensity of the global economy.”
- Guardian: "Thorough and accessible portrait of a secretive corporation is fascinating and deeply disturbing"
- Paperback: 704 pages
- Publisher: Penguin - May 2013
“ExxonMobil has met its match in Coll, an elegant writer and dogged reporter… extraordinary… monumental.”
- -- Washington Post
“Fascinating… Private Empire is a book meticulously prepared as if for trial, a lawyerly accumulation of information that lets the facts speak for themselves… a compelling and elucidatory work.”
- -- Bloomberg
“Private Empire is meticulous, multi-angled and valuable… Mr. Coll’s prose sweeps the earth like an Imax camera.”
- -- Dwight Garner, NY Times
"ExxonMobil has cut a ruthless path through the Age of Oil. Yet intense secrecy has kept one of the world's largest companies a mystery, until now. Private Empire: ExxonMobil and American Power is a masterful study of Big Oil's biggest player… Coll's in-depth reporting, buttressed by his anecdotal prose, make Private Empire a must-read. Consider Private Empire a sequel of sorts to The Prize, Daniel Yergin's Pulitzer-winning history of the oil industry… Coll's portrait of ExxonMobil is both riveting and appalling… Yet Private Empire is not so much an indictment as a fascinating look into American business and politics. With each chapter as forceful as a New Yorker article, the book abounds in Dickensian characters.”
- -- San Francisco Chronicle
"Coll makes clear in his magisterial account that Exxon is mighty almost beyond imagining, producing more profit than any American company in the history of profit, the ultimate corporation in 'an era of corporate ascendancy.' This history of its last two decades is therefore a revealing history of our time, a chronicle of the intersection between energy and politics."
- -- Bill McKibben, NY Review of Books
"Groundbreaking... Masterful as a corporate portrait, Private Empire gushes with narrative."
- -- American Prospect
ExxonMobil Under Investigation
- Money-in-Politics: Giants of the oil and gas industry spend millions in 2015 to manipulate lawmakers and public discourse on climate change
Oil Change International ... "Exposing the true costs of fossil fuels"
Exxon Mobile predicts "long-term demand growth" and profits in investor report...
- Today in Energy -- US Energy Information Agency -- https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/
This category has only the following subcategory.
- [+] Arctic (5)
Pages in category "Fossil Fuels"
The following 11 pages are in this category, out of 11 total.
Media in category "Fossil Fuels"
The following 98 files are in this category, out of 98 total.
- Arctic is in Crisis.png
- Arctic mdl 1990-2010.jpg
- Arctic Sea Ice News.png
- Arctic-asia mdl 1990-2...
- Bridenstine talks.png
- Climate Change debate-...
- Climate debate.jpg
- Climate Lawsuit-Our Ch...
- Climate skeptics, scie...
- CO2 Emissions per Capi...
- CO2 Emissions, GDP per...
- CO2 since 1751.png
- Cumulative CO2 Emissio...
- Dark Money Book FOC.jpg
- Democratic Party pres ...
- Denying human-caused c...
- Energy dependency-EU-2...
- Energy stocks performa...
- Exxon-Russia abandon o...
- Fracking or not.png
- GCAS original.png
- GND next steps.png
- Inhofe and the Snowbal...
- James Hansen - NY Time...
- Jerry Brown re EPA - 1...
- Jerry Brown-Climate We...
- Jerry Brown-Global Cli...
- Jim Inhofe official ph...
- Jorge Leon Arellano OP...
- Kamala Harris-GND-Jan ...
- Katharine Hayhoe on th...
- Lamar Smith Denial Off...
- Launching soon.png
- Like a speeding freigh...
- Merchants of Doubt.jpg
- Michael E Mann -- act ...
- Michael E Mann, act wi...
- Michael Mann-Nov7,2018...
- Mr Johnson from Ohio.png
- New Climate Model.jpg
- Off shore oil rig Cata...
- Paleoclimate-at the Mu...
- Polar Sea - Netflix.jpg
- Pope meeting with oil ...
- Pruitt in the news dai...
- Sarah Sanders press co...
- There is no Planet B M...
- Tillerson Sec of State...
- Tillerson-Putin mtg.jpg
- Too Intelligent to Bel...
- Trump digs coal-2.jpg
- US Crude oil productio...
- World Map of Energy De...
- World Oil Report - Dec...
- Youth Climate Strikes-...