Vancouver, British Columbia Zero Waste Challenge

From Green Policy
Jump to: navigation, search


Vancouver, Canada

Loading map...

Type: Policy

Status: Launched on 1/25/08

Source File: http://www.gvrd.bc.ca/zerowaste/index.htm

Description:

About Zero Waste Challenge
On January 25th 2008, the Metro Vancouver Board supported a long-term vision for waste management.

Zero Waste Challenge sets out to do two things with our region’s waste:

  • Minimize the amount of waste going to disposal using opportunities to reduce, reuse and recycle.
  • With the remaining waste, maximize the recovery of energy and finally, dispose of the remainder.

Across Metro Vancouver residents and businesses generate about 3 million tonnes of waste each year. Currently, about 52% of this is recycled. The other 48% is collected and taken to one of two landfills (Cache Creek or Vancouver) or to the region’s Waste-to-energy facility.

VBC-Waste.jpg

The Zero Waste Challenge encourages residents and businesses alike to generate less waste. Recall the 3R’s; Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. These three steps make up the Zero Waste Challenge. The Zero Waste Challenge will help us to discover new ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.

By following the 3R’s we can likely take care of most of our waste either at home, or close by. But even if we become extremely efficient at the 3R’s, there are still going to be some items that we will need some help to ‘get rid of’.

For these we can add in two more R’s; Recover energy and materials, and Residuals (essentially what’s leftover). The 5R’s complete the waste management picture.

You can see from the diagram at the right that the more we reduce our waste-creating ways the less there is to recycle; the more we recycle the less residuals need to be managed and so on.

Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Log in / Create Account
GreenPolicy360
About Our Network
Daily Green Stories
GreenPolicy360 Updates
Navigation
Green Graphics
GreenPolicy Social Media
Going Green
Earthviews
New Visions of Security
Strategic Demands
Countries & Maps
Digital360
GrnPolicy Reviews
Eco-Education
Online Legis Info (U.S.)
Wiki Ballotpedia (U.S.)
Wiki Politics (U.S.)
Wikimedia Platform
Green News/Dailies
Green News Services (En)
Green Zines (En)
Green Lists @Wikipedia
Climate Action Headlines
Climate Litigation Databases
Climate Agreement / INDCs
Climate Misinformation
Wikipedia on Climate
GrnNews Reddit Daily
Fact-Checking News Sites
GreenPolicy360 & Science
Identify Nature's Creatures
Climate Change - NASA
Ecolivia
Tools