Snohomish County, WA Diversity Council
Status: In effect
The Diversity Council advises the Executive on ways that the Diversity Council can help achieve the County's diversity goals. The Diversity Council, both on its own and in partnership with sponsoring departments plan and produce a variety of diversity educational events throughout the year.
Why is the Diversity Council necessary?
As the diversity of the citizens of Snohomish County broadens county government must change and adapt to provide the best service possible to the citizens whom we serve. Honoring diversity has been shown to be an effective tool in improving customer satisfaction and increasing understanding. The Diversity Council provides linkages between county employees, the diverse communities they represent and the Executive to advance the diversity issues confronting them.
County Diversity Goals
- Increase the pool of qualified applicants for county jobs by creating and maintaining the type of atmosphere that increases the county’s reputation as an employer of choice that lives its diversity vision.
- Increase retention of productive employees who contribute to our diversity by determining and addressing the issues that contribute to their job satisfaction.
- Reduce the separation between community and government by making the diversity of the county's workforce reflective of the community.
- Increase collaboration and recognize the contribution of our diverse community.
- Deepen trust in county government by active participation in events in the community that demonstrate the county's commitment to understanding and appreciating diversity.
- Educate county employees by using appropriate educational tools and providing the time and opportunity for all employees to participate fully in such education.
Diversity Council Goals
- Advise the Executive regarding the most effective ways to get additional feedback from our workforce and diverse communities about the issues of greatest concern.
- Advise the Executive on ways that the Diversity Council can help achieve the county’s diversity goals.
- Recommend diversity education tools, events and activities.
- Report accomplishments to the Executive annually.
- Develop an annual work plan and budget.