Sammamish, WA Youth Board
Source File: http://www.ci.sammamish.wa.us/Group.aspx?ID=6
The SAMMAMISH YOUTH BOARD’s mission is to unite youth, adults and government to form a relationship that promotes equality and mutual respect, as well as to create integral activities that lead to a stronger community. The City’s Parks and Recreation Department facilitates this active body of youth due to the creativity and drive of a local high school graduate and the City’s support and dedication to bettering the lives of Sammamish youth.
The Sammamish Youth Board continues to grow and thrive itself on its accomplishments. Within the 2005-6 school year the Sammamish Youth Board:
- Coordinated a variety of community service opportunities for local youth including adopt-a-road clean ups, local trail restoration, and food distribution to homeless youth;
- Produced a police/youth video “infomercial” on the risks of speeding for the local Channel 21 television station;
- Coordinated a garage sale and “Sample Sammamish” to form relationship with local businesses, raise funds for the American Cancer Society, and support the Board’s Relay for Life team;
- Coordinate a variety of teen social events such as a volleyball tournament or ice cream social to increase social opportunities for teens and break down barriers;
- Awarded a mini-grant to send local youth representatives to the Washington State Drug and Alcohol Prevention Summit in Yakima;
- Offered the annual youth/police BBQ to increase youth/police communications and understanding;
- Partnered with local organizations to sponsor community events such as Nightmare at Beaver Lake, Sammamish Highlands Holiday Celebration, Battle of the Bands, and Spring Eggstravaganza;
- Participated in quarterly meetings with the Lake WA School Superintendent.
Local youth are welcomed and encouraged to attend meetings and participate in Sammamish Youth Board-sponsored events. If you or a young person you know of is interested in serving their community and expanding their leadership skills, get involved!
All meetings are open to the public and held from 6-7:30 at the Sammamish City Hall.