Davenport, IA Curbside Recycling Program
The City of Davenport has a mandatory curbside recycling program for all single-family dwellings, duplexes, and three-plex building units. On your normal refuse collection day, a special recycling truck will drive by your home to pick up "recyclable materials" which include newspapers, corrugated cardboard, magazines, phone books, plastic bottles, glass jars, tin cans, and aluminum. You are asked to place these items in a special bin that is provided by the City. Please set this bin by your garbage container.
The charge for recycling services is included on the City's sewer bill. For those individuals having septic systems, a bill for recycling services will be mailed on January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1 of the calendar year. These billings are collected in the same manner as sewer bill invoices.
You may qualify for an exemption from the recycling fee if you meet all the following conditions:
- 1. The "Head of Household" is 65 years of age or older or is unable to work because of a disability for which he or she is receiving Social Security disability.
- 2. The total annual "Household Income" for all occupants residing therein is less than $19,502.99. This income may include but is not limited to salaries, wages, pensions, insurance income, interest, dividends, alimony, child support, and Social Security.
If you are 65 years of age or older or receiving Social Security disability, you will be granted the exemption if you are currently receiving a property tax credit or a rent credit as defined in Iowa Code Chapter 425.23. A property tax credit will be verified with the records at the Scott County Treasurer's Office. The applicant will have to provide proof of rent credit from the State of Iowa.
If you are not currently receiving a property tax credit or a rent credit as provided in the previous paragraph, the head of household will have to provide:
- 1. Proof of Social Security disability, if applicable.
- 2. Copies of most current income tax returns for household members to verify income under $19,502.99.
- 3. If no income tax returns were filed, then the applicant will have to provide proof of age and household income under $19,502.99.