Cupertino, CA Embracing the City's Demographic Diversity
Status: Adopted on 11/3/03
RESOLUTION NO. 03-203
A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF CUPERTINO ESTABLISHING A POLICY EMBRACING THE CITY’S DEMOGRAPHIC DIVERSITY (ADVISORY COMMISSONS AND COMMITTEES)
WHEREAS, the City intends to provide efficient, effective and equitable governmental services to all of Cupertino, and
WHEREAS, respect for all cultures, and other demographic differences is the foundation of Cupertino’s future, and
WHEREAS Cupertino’s residents are its most important resource, their cultural and economic diversity provides the living fabric that binds Cupertino together, and
WHEREAS, the involvement and commitment of the entire Cupertino community produces a better quality of life with residents and city government working in partnership, and
WHEREAS, it is vital in maintaining a high performing, productive city government in which each resident and each city employee is valued for his or her unique gifts and talents, that the city capitalize on the innovation inherent within the community and within city government, and
WHEREAS, the City of Cupertino recognize that diversity includes culture, gender, age and other important demographic differences within the City and that valuing each diversity is fundamental in the way the City provides services to its residents, and
WHEREAS, the City believes that diverse city commissions and committees provide advantages offered by a variety of diverse perspectives and in increasing the City’s ability to serve its diverse population.
NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED AS FOLLOWS:
I. Commissions and Committees
- A. To foster comprehensive representation within advisory commissions and committees, it would be advantageous for new members to represent the community by such factors as culture, gender, age, and location of residency within the city.
- B. In the conduct of their business, commission and committee members shall pursue the benefit of a variety of perspectives in making decisions.
- C. Commissions and committees increase the city’s potential, effectiveness and creativity as an organization by offering a wide range of approaches and perspectives to addressing issues and solving problems.
II. Other means of communicating this policy to the general public
The City of Cupertino’s embracing of diversity will also be communicated and reflected through such means as festivals and events, recreation and education programs, public art, city publications and media programming.
III. Dissemination and enforcement of this policy
This policy shall be incorporated into the following:
- 1) All notices seeking commission and committee applications;
- 2) Shall be adopted by the City Manager as an administrative procedure, who shall be responsible for the implementation of this policy. From time to time, the City Manager will report the status of such implementation to the City Council;
- 3) Shall be posted at both the City Clerk’s Office and at the City’s Department of Human Resources.