Toronto, Ontario Action Plan for the Elimination of Racism and Discrimination
Source File: http://www.toronto.ca/diversity/plan.htm
Toronto has become one of the most diverse cities in the world and has gained an international reputation for the success of its diversity. The City has an inclusive vision of society, which is equitable and built on the strength of its diversity.
Through the leadership of Toronto City Council, the City has adopted and implemented policies and programs on Non-discrimination, Human Rights, Elimination of Hate, Access and Equity Grants, Employment Equity and Action Plan on Community Access and Equity. These policies and programs are in place to remove barriers, promote equitable participation of all residents and build an inclusive society.
The City recognizes that notwithstanding the above initiatives, intensifying social and economic disparities impact disproportionately on diverse individuals and communities. It must work proactively to improve access and equity, be more inclusive and continue to challenge racism and discrimination.
Through this Plan of Action for the Elimination of Racism and Discrimination, the City:
- reaffirms "Diversity Our Strength", embraces opportunities to build an inclusive society, serves as a model of diversity, and celebrates the cultural, economic and social successes of our diverse communities;
- affirms its commitment to removing the barriers of racism and discrimination that exclude and disadvantage individuals and communities from participating equitably in all spheres of life in Toronto;
- acknowledges that multiple factors, such as race, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, place of origin compound the discrimination of individuals and communities;
- ensures that non-discrimination, anti-racism, accessibility and equity policies and programs are integrated in the operation of the municipality;
- strengthens advocacy and partnership with communities, public and private sectors and other orders of government; and
- demonstrates accountability to all residents in striving to achieve the goal of a diverse, equitable and inclusive society.