Taos, NM Resolution on Sustainability
Status: Adopted on 11/20/07
RESOLUTION NO. 07-99
WHEREAS, the TOWN OF TAOS was founded on the principles and values of effective, efficient, and results-oriented local governments;
WHEREAS, the TOWN OF TAOS members, we honor the commitment in the ancient Athenian Oath taken by the citizens of that republic, to “transmit this [local government], not only less, but greater, better, and more beautiful than it was transmitted to us;”
WHEREAS, the World Commission on Environment and Development defined sustainable development as “development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs,” and this definition has been adopted and endorsed by people and communities around the globe;
WHEREAS, the TOWN OF TAOS has recognized that for local governments, sustainability requires attention to interdependent elements including: environmental stewardship, economic development, inclusive civic engagement, and many others;
WHEREAS, the TOWN OF TAOS has a long and proud history of promoting sustainable practices among local governments, including smart growth, maintenance of critical infrastructure, environmental management systems, sound financial planning, equitable economic development, inclusive civic engagement, and many others;
WHEREAS, local governments have been leading the way in adopting sustainability principles and practices;
WHEREAS, the TOWN OF TAOS’ would like to promote “sustainability” as the critical theme of this term, in recognizing its crucial importance to the organization;
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT THE TOWN OF TAOS GOVERNMENT MEMBERSHIP affirms its commitment to building sustainable communities by:
1. Working with our elected officials, community members, and local governments to incorporate sustainable principles and practices into all functions and operations of local government.
2. Championing and facilitating decisions at the local level that balance the needs of current residents with the needs of future generations.
3. Balancing the often-competing values within our communities to develop solutions and practices that are truly holistic and comprehensive.
4. Reviewing the operations of our local governments to maximize efficiency, effectiveness, and relevance, and to ensure the maximum use of sustainable practices such as energy conservation, using fuel efficient or alternative-fuel cars for local government business, promoting and implementing the principles of smart growth within our communities, increasing the use of renewable energy to meet local government energy needs, investing in critical infrastructure, and ensuring sound financial management.
5. Urging all levels of government to adopt practices that foster sustainable communities.
6. Working with business, residents and non-profit groups to create a community-wide commitment to the ethos and practice of sustainability.
7. Working with neighboring jurisdictions to build sustainable communities at the regional level.
8. Sharing information about successful practices through programs of information dissemination and professional development spearheaded by the TOWN OF TAOS.
9. Educating our elected officials, government staff, and community members in sustainable practices in local government and in everyday life.
10. Using the TOWN OF TAOS to monitor legislative and administrative developments in other levels of government that may affect pertinent local government efforts in this area and communicating regularly through the TOWN OF TAOS public information resources.
11. Reducing fossil fuel use in both energy consumption to power vehicles and buildings.