Each of us can make a positive difference by stepping up and doing our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
Talk:Atlanta, GA LEED Building Design
What is Sustainable Design?
Sustainable building means the integration of building materials and methods that promote environmental quality, economic vitality, and social benefit through the design, construction and operation of the built environment. Sustainable building merges sound, environmentally responsible practices into one discipline that looks at the environmental, economic and social effects of a building or built project as a whole.
Sustainable design encompasses the following broad topics:
- Efficient management of energy and water resources
- Management of material resources and waste
- Protection of environmental quality
- Protection of health and indoor environmental quality
- Reinforcement of natural systems
- An integrated the design approach.
Why Sustainable Design?
Buildings consume significant amounts of natural resources, including one-quarter of all the world’s wood harvest, two-fifths of all material and energy flows and account for more than one-third of U.S. CO2 emissions. Well-designed, resource efficient buildings:
- Provide healthier, more productive indoor environments for their occupants
- Minimize their impact on natural water flows and wildlife habitats
- Promote economic development and mobility by effectively utilizing existing infrastructure
City of Atlanta’s Sustainable Development Design Standards
Based on the successful and proven green building guidelines, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED™), developed by the United States Green Building Council, City Council has adopted the Sustainable Development Design Standards in order to promote building practices that protect the quality of the air, water, and other natural resources, reduce construction practices that impact native vegetation, wildlife, and other ecosystems, and minimize the human impact on local and regional ecosystems. Resource efficient buildings have lower operating and maintenance costs, resulting in savings for the City and taxpayers.
The Environmental Manager is working with several city departments to incorporate the Sustainable Development Design Standards into current and future projects. Keep an eye on this page for updates about pilot projects and other developments.