San Mateo County, CA Green Business Program
Status: In Effect
San Mateo County Green Business Program
The County of San Mateo along with the City of Burlingame, Daly City, Millbrae, Redwood City, San Carlos and San Mateo have launched a 6 month pilot program of the Bay Area Green Business Certification Program. The pilot program is open from July, 1st till December 31st, 2007 and is available to four types of business sectors: Restaurant/Cafe, Auto Service Shop, Hotel/Motel, and Office/Retail.
About the Green Business Program
The Bay Area Green Business Program is a successful partnership between the Cities, and County, environmental agencies and utility companies that assist, recognize and promote businesses and government agencies that volunteer to operate in a more environmentally responsible way. To be certified "Green," participants must be in compliance with all state and local regulations and meet program standards for conserving resources, preventing pollution and minimizing waste. Developed in 1997 by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) and Bay Area public agencies in collaboration with US EPA, Cal EPA Department of Toxic Substances Control and the business community, the program is offered throughout the Bay Area.
Why Go Green?
Going Green makes good business sense! It improves all aspects of the business environment. A Green Business:
- Can save money and resources by reducing energy, water, and garbage usage
- Reduces their impact on Climate Change
- Improves employee morale and create a healthy workplace
- Strengthens its bottom line through operating efficiencies and innovations
- Is recognized and can market itself as an environmental leader in their community
Get recognized for being Green — Sign up to become a Green Business in San Mateo County!
The Green Business Program recognizes businesses that:
- Comply with all environmental regulations
- Take steps to conserve natural resources and prevent pollution
Certified Green Businesses receive recognition through:
- Green Business Program websites: www.greenbiz.abag.ca.gov and www.RecycleWorks.org
- Listing in the printed regional Bay Area Green Business Directory
- Use of the Green Business logo on business materials
- Special recognition event and press coverage
- Window decal, certificate and promotional material
What Do I Have to Do to Be Green?
- Sign up for the Program
- Pledge to stay Green:
"We believe a successful business is dependent on a healthy environment. We are actively working to show our environmental responsibility to our community by committing to the following objectives:
- Comply with all applicable regulations and strive to exceed compliance
- Identify ways to conserve resources and prevent pollution
- Use the Green Business checklist to select and record measures to:
o Conserve water
o Conserve energy
o Reduce waste
o Prevent pollution