Be Here Now Planet Citizen @ PlanetCitizen.org
Regina, Saskatchewan Green Ribbon Community Climate Change Advisory Committee
Status: Adopted in 2004
Officially named "The Green Ribbon Community Climate Change Advisory Committee" by City Council, this group of important community leaders were brought together to investigate options to reduce community greenhouse gas emissions.
The Green Ribbon Committee's Community GHG Emissions Reduction Action Plan was released in January 2004. The Green Ribbon Committee has also developed Regina's Green Book $mart Ways to Save to show you different ways to save money and energy at home, at work and on the road. This will move Regina towards achieving City Council's commitment to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions in the geographic area of Regina by 6% of 1990 levels by 2012.
GRC Mission Statement
To promote an awareness of climate change and develop a plan of action with the citizens of Regina to reduce greenhouse gas emissions for the benefit of our community.
Terms of Reference
The Committee may:
1. investigate options to reduce community GHG emissions within the City;
2. determine the barriers to actions related to reducing GHG emissions within the Regina community and recommend actions to overcome such barriers;
3. create a Community Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Action Plan that will ensure that the community reaches the goal of reducing GHG emissions by 6% of 1990 levels by 2012;
4. prioritize the Action Plan to target the highest benefit areas;
5. develop a strategy to implement the Action Plan;
6. consult with the public through focus groups, briefs and public meetings;
7. make recommendations for implementation of the Action Plan through the use of working groups;
8. monitor the results of the implementation of the Action Plan and revise the Action Plan as necessary;
9. recommend projects for the Cool Down the City program.