Olympia, WA Reduce Energy Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Status: Adopted on 3/16/04
Source File: Click here
RESOLUTION NO. M-1550
A RESOLUTION adopting a strategy to manage and reduce energy and fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
WHEREAS, the Olympia City Council exists to promote the welfare of the citizens of Olympia, Washington, and recognizes that escalating energy consumption and vehicular emissions can be harmful to the health of people, the economy, and the environment; and
WHEREAS, by adopting Chapter 8, Energy, of the Comprehensive Plan for Olympia and the Olympia Growth Area, the City of Olympia has committed to being a socially responsible leader by managing its own energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions; and
WHEREAS, the City of Olympia recognizes that by improving the energy efficiency in all its operations and fleet it can have significant monetary savings in the long term; and
WHEREAS, increases in energy efficiency and use of clean energy supplies present significant cost savings and new economic opportunities in Washington, where the clean energy sectors are already relatively well-established; and
WHEREAS, City operations and activities create energy demands that produce off-site greenhouse gas emissions that indirectly effect other regions; and
WHEREAS, global climate change poses a profound threat to the region’s natural and economic systems, including: timing and quantity of water flows; water supply availability; snow pack; hydroelectricity; forest health; air quality and related human health issues; sea-level; and agriculture, amongst others; and
WHEREAS, Olympia City Council continues their efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions as effective solutions to global climate change and encourages stronger initiatives at both the State and Federal government.
NOW, THEREFORE, THE OLYMPIA CITY COUNCIL RESOLVES TO ADOPT THE FOLLOWING GOALS AND TO COMPLETE THE INITIATES LISTED BY 2005:
- To ensure Olympia’s Comprehensive Plan Energy Policies are implemented as intended
- To ensure a legacy of sustainability through stabilization and reductions in total energy and greenhouse gas emission per capita
- To ensure new growth in the City services are accommodated with zero net increase in greenhouse gas emissions; and
- To establish an active, comprehensive citywide program to measure energy consumption levels per capita and report on them and use these targets as performance measures; and
- To develop a long term energy management action plan for the City that will lead to a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by two percent per year, until all available, cost-effective technology and strategy options are exhausted, or they reach the 1990 emissions levels throughout City operations or shall be consistent with international treaties targets; and
- To promote a greater public understanding of energy use and its climate change impacts through outreach and communication efforts, demonstrating that Olympia is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by publishing an annual report which shall outline the total City energy use and greenhouse gas emission performance for the prior year.