Nederland, CO Implementation of Energy Goals
Status: Adopted on 2/15/05
RESOLUTION NO. 2005-03
A RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE TOWN OF NEDERLAND IN REGARD TO ENERGY GOALS FOR THE TOWN OF NEDERLAND AND A PLAN FOR IMPLEMENTATION
WHEREAS, the Citizens of Nederland and its government have expressed their desire through the Comprehensive Plan to preserve the Town’s character, quality of life, and environment; improve energy efficiency; pursue development of alternative energy sources, encourage carpooling, vanpooling, and ride-sharing programs; decrease reliance on imported energy sources; and achieve a sustainable, diversified economy.
WHEREAS, the energy goals and implementation plan outlined below strive to meet these desires by laying the groundwork for a secure energy future in Nederland; and
WHEREAS, these goals could be implemented through the Xcel Energy franchise agreement, educational programs, building codes, grant and loan programs, and other means.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that the Board of Trustees of the Town of Nederland adopt the following energy goals and implementation plan:
- Decrease the per capita use of fossil fuels by at least 1% per year in public and private homes and buildings through energy efficiency, energy conservation practices, renewable energy and other viable solutions.
- Upgrade and improve the Town’s power distribution system to increase power reliability to maintain at least the “total system SAIDI” benchmark as specified in the Colorado PUC Quality of Service Plan.
- Diversify the Town’s source of energy through independent energy systems and providers.
- Underground all future power lines in the Town of Nederland.
- Ensure that all future energy franchise agreements contain a “most favored nations” article.
- Decrease the use of petroleum by encouraging the use of fuel efficient, alternative fuel and clean technology vehicles.
Actions within the Franchise Agreement
- Negotiate a franchise agreement with Xcel Energy that is no more than ten years in duration, instead of twenty, to be able to capitalize on the opportunities of a rapidly evolving energy and power industry.
- Spell out Nederland’s interest in, and commitment to, making use of Xcel Energy’s energy efficiency programs.
- Add provisions about the level of service reliability that Nederland expects, and the consequences if Xcel Energy misses its mark.
- Encourage Xcel Energy to invest in solar in Nederland to meet their Amendment 37 obligations.
- Consider increasing the Xcel energy franchise fee and dedicate the increased revenues to a revolving loan/grant fund for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects in Nederland homes and buildings.
Actions outside of the Franchise Agreement
- Upgrade and strengthen Nederland’s building code to require sustainable building practices that employ maximum energy efficiency practices and the use of renewable energy and distributed energy systems. Consider LEED as the standard.
- Educate citizens about energy efficiency and renewable energy options available to them through utility programs or other means. Coordinate this effort with the Nederland Renewable Energy Project.
- Invest in energy efficiency and renewable energy for existing municipal buildings, and use the LEED standards for new buildings.
- Consider re-appropriating the franchise fee revenue from the general fund into a dedicated revolving loan/grant fund for energy efficiency and renewable energy projects in Nederland homes and buildings.
- Consider other means of financing energy efficiency and renewable energy projects in Nederland homes and buildings, such as grants, loans and donations, and establish a fund raising body to accomplish this.