Maricopa County, AZ Diversity Policy
Status: Issued on 7/2/03
Source File: http://www.maricopa.gov/Diversity/PDF/a1510.pdf
To create a productive work environment representative of the citizens we serve and reflective of the changing demography of Maricopa County.
Diversity represents those human qualities that are different from our own and outside of the groups to which we personally belong. Diversity incorporates the primary characteristics of age, ethnicity, gender, physical abilities and challenges and race. Diversity dimensions also include educational background, geographic location, parental status, military experience, religious beliefs and social, economic and political acculturation.
Maricopa County recognizes that diversity and inclusion are prominent factors that can maximize the success of our workplace. Our employees reflect the different cultures, backgrounds, beliefs and abilities inherent in the larger population of the county. Diversity is a global vision in today’s marketplace and Maricopa County realizes that by understanding, respecting and using creatively the differences of our employees we will continue to meet the needs of the citizens we serve.
The foundation of our diversity philosophy is to clearly articulate to both our employees and the general public our intention to create a culture that enhances our ability to hire, retain, develop, manage and promote a diverse workforce. We will ensure that our employees and customers are treated fairly, free from intolerance and discrimination. In managing diversity it is our goal to recognize, reward and compensate employees based solely upon the merit of their contributions. The significant cultural, social and economic dividends arising from the diversity of our employee base will ensure in the future our ability to provide sound government to the residents of Maricopa County.
C. Authority and Responsibilities:
Accountability for Diversity implementation will be the responsibility of all managers and supervisors and will be incorporated into departmental Managing for Results Plans. The Director of Diversity will provide specific leadership and guidance for organizing the County’s Diversity Plan and ensuring compliance with diversity policies and procedures. The Director of Diversity will report to the Deputy County Administrator and assist with the coordination of diversity initiatives into the strategic business goals of Maricopa County.
- The Director of Diversity will act as Staff Advisor to Maricopa County’s Diversity Task Force. Volunteers and nominations will be solicited from all departments and positions to create a stratified and diversified membership for the task force.
- The Diversity Task Force will participate in the overall assessment of the County’s needs and make recommendations to the Deputy County Administrator and County Administrator for incorporation into Maricopa County’s Diversity Plan.
- Maricopa County’s Diversity Plan will be reviewed by the senior staff, e.g. Chiefs and Directors throughout the County, and approved by the Deputy County Administrator and the County Administrator.
- The Diversity Task Force Chair will be appointed by the County Administrative Officer.
- The Diversity Task Force will meet as often as necessary until at which time the Organizational Assessment and Diversity Plan have been finalized.
- The Director of Diversity will be charged with the administrative oversight for all diversity initiatives contained in the plan.
- The Director of Diversity will continue to meet periodically with the Diversity Task Force as new initiatives and issues emerge to meet the changing business needs of the County.
- The Diversity Plan will be updated at a minimum every two years to reflect the strategies contained in departmental Managing for Results Plans.
- The County Administrator may at his discretion convene periodically an AD Hoc Citizens’ Committee to increase communications between the County and business and community leaders.