File:Shale-US biggest oil producer by fall 2018.png
- Via CNN / Money
- June 20, 2018
The United States will be the world's top oil producer in just a matter of months.
That's the assessment of Pioneer Natural Resources Chairman Scott Sheffield, who told CNNMoney that he expects US production to surpass 11 million barrels a day within the next three to four months.
If achieved, that level of output would move the United States past Russia and make it the world's top oil producer.
"We'll be at 13 [million] very quickly," Sheffield said Wednesday at the OPEC International Seminar in Vienna, Austria. He predicted that number could jump to 15 million barrels per day within seven to eight years.
The United States is currently pumping 10.3 million barrels per day, according to the US Energy Information Administration. Russia pumps 10.6 million barrels per day, while Saudi Arabia's production stands at 10.1 million.
American production surpassed that of Saudi Arabia for the first time in February.
Energy Priorities, Geo-politics & Fracking in the US
Production Up, Priorities Go to Fossil Fuels
- New Fracking Production Technology Changes Near-term Projections
- Costs of Environmental Impacts Put Off by the Trump Administration
- Elon Musk Talks Need for Alternatives to Fossil Fuels
- "The greater the change to the chemical composition of the physical, chemical makeup of the oceans and atmosphere [due to increased carbon emissions], the greater the long-term effect will be... [W]hy would you run this crazy experiment to see how bad it'll be? We know it's at least some bad, and the overwhelming scientific consensus is that it'll be really bad."
- “Even if you put the environmental consequences of dramatically changing the chemical composition of the oceans and atmosphere aside, we will eventually run out of oil...
- "If we don’t find a solution to burning oil for transport, and we then run out of oil, the economy will collapse and civilization will come to an end as we know it. And so if we know that we have to ultimately get off oil no matter what — we know that is an inescapable outcome, it’s simply a question of when, not if...
- "Then, why would you run this crazy experiment of changing the chemical composition of the atmosphere and oceans by adding enormous amounts of CO2 that’ve been buried since the pre-Cambrian era? That’s crazy. That is the dumbest experiment in history, by far. Can you think of a dumber experiment? I honestly cannot. What good could possibly come of it?”
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||22:50, 20 June 2018||546 × 33 (4 KB)||Siterunner|