Darwin, Australia Environmental Policy
Status: Adopted on 9/28/04
Darwin City Council strives to enhance, preserve and promote the Darwin environment. We will work actively towards the protection of our lifestyle, support sustainable growth and develop policies and implement programs that preserve and enhance our environment and quality of life.
Our Environmental Management Commitment
Darwin City Council's environmental management commitment is expressed through its Sustainability Framework, which was adopted by Council on 11th May 2004
The framework seeks to enhance the environmental values of Darwin through the development and implementation of a community focussed Environmental Management Plan (EMP) and organisationally focussed Environmental Management System (EMS).
To achieve our environmental commitment we will:
- Identify, implement and promote appropriate best practice environmental management systems, plans and actions wherever feasible;
- Seek to maintain biodiversity, land and water quality to the best of our ability and within the constraints of our area of responsibility and influence;
- Be committed to operating in an ecologically sustainable manner;
- Work closely with our employees, contractors, stakeholders, regulators and the community of Darwin to develop and implement agreed environmental initiatives;
- Annually review this policy, environmental management plans and monitoring program to assess our environmental performance;
- Communicate our environmental performance and significant environmental issues to the community, and implement a process of continuous improvement;
- Comply with relevant Commonwealth and Northern Territory Environmental Legislation.