Cornell University, NY Environmentally Friendly/Green Purchasing Policy
Status: In effect
Cornell University has a long-standing commitment to leadership in the area of environmental stewardship. As part of that commitment, the Office for Purchasing Services has incorporated the principles of Green Purchasing into many of its contracts and procedures.
Green Purchasing includes the purchase of recycled content products, environmentally preferable products and services, bio-based products, energy and water-efficient products, alternate fuel vehicles, and products using renewable energy. Faculty and staff have the opportunity and are encouraged to purchase environmentally friendly products and services from the following Cornell University contracts:
- Campus units are encouraged to support Cornell University's commitment to global sustainability by using recycled paper. In 2004, purchases of 30% and 100% post-consumer recycled copier paper accounted for approximately 60% of campus copier paper consumption.
- Using recycled paper is encouraged in offset and digital printing projects of all kinds. Approximately 80% of the orders for printing are done on some type of recycled paper. This includes business cards, envelopes, stationery, and a large variety of publications. Visit each product Web site for more details.
- Cornell's copying preferred supplier agreement defaults to 100% recycled in the online ordering system.
- All of Cornell's preferred suppliers of office supplies participate in recycled toner cartridge programs and provide many recycled and environmentally friendly products. Visit each supplier's Web site for more details.
- Cornell's carpeting preferred supplier is a leader in the use of recycled materials in the manufacturing, distribution, and installation of carpeting. Visit their Web site for more details.
- Cornell's preferred supplier for office furniture has received many national awards for their "green" purchasing, manufacturing, and distribution processes. Visit their Web site for more details.