Auburn University, AL Campus Bike Committee
WHY ARE WE PROMOTING BIKES?
Of all the alternatives to single-occupant vehicle transportation, bikes are the easiest, fastest, most efficient, and cheapest way to get someone to and from campus.
THE CAMPUS BIKE COMMITTEE
The bike committee is a group of Auburn University faculty, staff, and students who are dedicated to increasing bike usage and facilities on campus through education, planning, and event coordinating.
Goals Of Committee:
Convenient access to central campus for bikes:
- Bike paths that parallel pedestrian walkways OR
- Bike paths that are independent of pedestrian walkways but lead to same destination
- Bicycle loop that allows travel around the core campus pedestrian zone and permits faster travel
Sufficient parking racks and shelters:
- Sufficient bike racks to accommodate peak bike traffic on campus at convenient locations
- Shelters provided at several strategically placed large storage areas
Bike shop in new student union and air pumps at several locations around campus.
University wide education of students, faculty, and staff about bike safety and use.
Increased awareness of biking events and organizations at Auburn University and the City of Auburn.
DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE UNIVERSITY:
- Complete bike loop around core campus
- Get bike parking as close to buildings as possible
- Separate bike paths/pedestrians/automobiles
- Space for 6-10 bikes at every building (min) or every entrance (max)
- several large covered storage areas