Each of us can make a difference if we step up and try our best / Becoming Planet Citizens
- GreenPolicy360.com / .net / .org
- Millions of Visits & Network Shares
Green stories are changing the world. We encourage you to create your own green stories.
Launch new initiatives, improve the environment, change the way governments run and how businesses work.
Now is the time to go beyond old ways of thinking and to create new visions of our living planet.
Welcome to GreenPolicy360, your ready-to-share, always there GreenLinks eco-network.
○ "There is no wisdom that is not related to earth, or does not partake of its nature."
- -- Marjory Stoneman Douglas
Stories Featured on GreenPolicy360's Eco-Network
- Time for Planet Citizen Action
January 11, 2019
January 9, 2019
Via CNN / Carbon emissions increased 3.4% in 2018, marking the second-largest annual gain in more than two decades, according to preliminary power generation data analyzed by the Rhodium Group, an independent economic policy research provider... US power sector emissions as a whole rose by 1.9% and that the transportation sector "held its title as the largest source of US emissions for the third year running," due to a growth in demand for diesel and jet fuel offsetting a modest decline in gasoline use.
The lack of strategy in the country's decarbonization efforts, the research says, has contributed to the gap in meeting the goal set in the Paris Agreement on climate change, a landmark 2015 accord that the US Trump administration has promised to abandon. President Trump has at times denied the basic science of climate change, which states that burning coal, oil and natural gas produces emissions that trap heat in the atmosphere, warming the planet. But it has become increasingly clear that warming is happening faster than previously thought and with worse results.
January 7, 2019
Brookings climate study: The Paris international climate agreement "significantly reduces" carbon emissions relative to a business-as-usual case. But it also further confirms how much existing pledges, called nationally determined contributions, are nonetheless insufficient.
January 5, 2019
The clock, physics, politics demand action.
January 1, 2019
Check out Green Trending News. Follow a Tag, a Thread, Link In.
Visit GreenPolicy360's GreenLinks. Pick a fave Green org. Join Up.
December 30, 2018
December 28, 2018
GreenPolicy360 Siterunner: William Westermeyer writes of a science agency that was established thru the work of Congressman George E Brown, Congressman from East LA and a leader of California's initiatives in environmental science. Gingrich disbanded the US Office of Technology Assessment in the 1995, after its warning on climate change. Today, the science office to advise the president, Office of Science and Technology Policy also brought into existence by George Brown, is moribund with its science executive positions going unfilled. The president is on record saying he doesn't need the science... The nation, and world, heads into 2019 as science and guidance of visionary leaders are set aside.
On the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 8 Mission ...
December 24, 2018
Planet Citizens in Action
Can the world kick its fossil-fuel addiction fast enough?
GreenPolicy360 and our Associate StrategicDemands.com explore Earth's existential threat environment
- Escalating Risk of Use of Nuclear Weapons
- Warning to Today's Generation
- Planet Citizens, Look to the Future
US Departure from International Cooperation:
"Sovereignty", the New Administration's Buzzword
The International Climate Agreement goes forward without the US
Nations around the world reject the US decision
Climate News / Climate Focus, Climate Politics
Battle in the US Congress between the Climate Denial faction and Science Advocates
- GreenPolicy360 and Strategic Demands Advance New Definitions of National Security
Mick Mulvaney, President Trump’s budget director:
“Regarding the question as to climate change, I think the President was fairly straightforward —
We’re not spending money on that anymore; we consider that to be a waste of your money to go out and do that.”
- White House budget director Mick Mulvaney rejects climate as a security issue:
- “Regarding the question as to climate change, I think the president was fairly straightforward – we’re not spending money on that anymore. We consider that to be a waste of your money.”
- "It would be sad, and dare I say even catastrophic, were special interests to prevail over the common good and lead to manipulating information in order to protect their own plans and interests"...
- "The Pope took particular aim at those who reject the science behind global warming..."
"What's up with sea level rise?"
Destruction of Life, Large 'Charismatic' Creatures & the "Tiny Little Ones"
The 8 Million+ Species We Don’t Know
By Edward O. Wilson / NY Times
The most striking fact about the living environment may be how little we know about it. Even the number of living species can be only roughly calculated. A widely accepted estimate by scientists puts the number at about 10 million. In contrast, those formally described, classified and given two-part Latinized names (Homo sapiens for humans, for example) number slightly more than two million. With only about 20 percent of its species known and 80 percent undiscovered, it is fair to call Earth a little-known planet.
- To effectively manage protected habitats, we must also learn more about all the species of our planet and their interactions within ecosystems.
The best-explored groups of organisms are the vertebrates (mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes), along with plants, especially trees and shrubs. Being conspicuous, they are what we familiarly call “wildlife.” A great majority of other species, however, are by far also the most abundant. I like to call them “the little things that run the world.” They teem everywhere, in great number and variety in and on all plants, throughout the soil at our feet and in the air around us. They are the protists, fungi, insects, crustaceans, spiders, pauropods, centipedes, mites, nematodes and legions of others whose scientific names are seldom heard by the bulk of humanity. In the sea and along its shores swarm organisms of the other living world — marine diatoms, crustaceans, ascidians, sea hares, priapulids, coral, loriciferans and on through the still mostly unfilled encyclopedia of life.
Do not call these organisms “bugs” or “critters.” They too are wildlife. Let us learn their correct names and care about their safety. Their existence makes possible our own. We are wholly dependent on them.
"Tiny Blue Green"
- More than Meets the Eye
"A single kind of blue-green algae in the ocean produces the oxygen in one of every five breaths we take"
- ~ from "The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean’s Are One" by Sylvia Earle
Seventy percent of the Earth's surface is ocean and here, in myriad life forms, "tiny blue-green" organisms are essential to preserving life on the planet
The Unseen and the Seen
- A 21st Century paradigm in development @ GreenPolicy360
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2018
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2017
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2016
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2015
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2014
GreenPolicy360 Archive Highlights 2013
GreenPolicy360 provides green best practices, news and updates, and an online database which lists local/global policies and successful projects and programs -- legislation / proposals / resolutions / ordinances. Green values in practice. Our GreenPolicy / GreenLinks database is growing. We've experienced millions of page visits. Our Introduction Video explains how we started and our initial goals.
We are an eco-network, a system designed for online sharing, a distributive web of green best practices.
GreenPolicy360 was developed for use in all communities, local, national, international. GreenPolicy lets you know how other communities are dealing with many of the key public policy issues of yesterday, today and tomorrow. If you're working to craft similar green legislation/proposals/resolutions/ordinances/concepts for your local community, or you just want to get an idea of best practices that might be possible, you can use the models and templates here.
Use our online platform of best practices, build on what has worked in other communities and locations, create waves of change, multiply and keep on keeping on.
"Think and act global and local!"
How to Use the GreenPolicy Site
1) Browse our All Pages Index
- The GreenPolicy Index is organized into Categories and Topics and lists all pages and media content.
2) Add your Ideas, Green Best Practice... Add a Keyword, a Category and/or Topic
- Add-a-Page, a New Entry to our GreenPolicy database, Click Here
- We welcome your suggestions. Is there a new Category/Topic that you think should be included in our database? If so, email us your category suggestions - GreenPolicy360@gmail.com. If you would like to contribute green best practices content, consider setting up an Account and follow the model of current pages, organizing content into Categories/Topics. Contact us for suggestions and/or advice.
- Consult the MediaWiki User's Guide for information on using this wiki software.
3) Google Maps
- The World Map presents countries/locations and, as of 2015, is expanding green practices internationally, focusing on INDCs - climate plans and climate plan actions.
4) Browse/Search GreenPolicy360 through the use of a wide variety of Categories
- Find models for green initiatives/projects in your community... discover and share green ideas of what might be possible to introduce in your community, region or country
- Use this link to view all the Categories and Topics
- Use this link to search by Location and this link to search the GreenLinks network
- Use this link to view by Entity types (e.g., City Governments, School Districts, etc.)
- Use this link to view by type of legislation (e.g., ordinances, resolutions, etc.).
5) Searching the site on your own terms
- Enter your search words/terms in the left-sidebar 'policy search' window and choose Go or Search. You can enter a keyword, key phrase, or location, or anything you want, in any combination you want. Search terms must be at least three characters. The database will not search for two-character search strings.
6) A Note about the "background info" tab
- As we continue to develop the various capabilities of GreenPolicy360, we will provide more content as 'on background' information. Note the color of a page 'background info' tab. If the tab has blue lettering, then the entry does include background information. If the tab has red lettering, it means that it does not include background information yet.
7) Our standard style guide utilizes italics for quoted material and non-italic for original text content. For additional editing/text formatting help, review these Wiki markup guides:
8) To Upload Graphic files, click on the Upload file link in the left side-bar and follow the directions. Permitted file types are pdf, png, gif, jpg, and jpeg
9) In general, content on GreenPolicy's site is offered under Creative Commons CC BY-NC license -- Reuse with Attribution-NonCommercial / http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
10) Additional references about Wikis and GreenPolicy360:
Digital Citizens, Digital Rights Movement
- #OpenAccess - https://twitter.com/hashtag/openaccess?src=hash
- #OpenData - https://twitter.com/hashtag/OpenData?src=hash
- #DigitalRights - https://twitter.com/hashtag/DigitalRights?src=hash
- #InfoSec - https://twitter.com/hashtag/InfoSec?src=hash
- #Cybersecurity - https://twitter.com/hashtag/cybersecurity?src=hash
Planet Citizens, Digital Rights @GreenPolicy360
Links via GreenPolicy's Digital360 Network
- Alliance for Affordable Internet - http://a4ai.org/
- ArcGIS Open Data Platform - https://opendata.arcgis.com/about
- ASPI Cyber Policy - http://cyberpolicy.aspi.org.au/
- Center for Data Innovation - http://www.datainnovation.org/ - http://www.datainnovation.org/2014/04/the-economic-impact-of-open-data/
- Center for Democracy and Technology - https://cdt.org/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/CenDemTech
- (TW) https://twitter.com/CenDemTech
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Democracy_and_Technology
- Code for America - http://codeforamerica.org/issues/openness/
- CommonFutures EU/Int'l - http://CommonFutures.eu/the-future-of-open-possibly-the-largest-open-network-in-the-world
- Creative Commons - http://CreativeCommons.org
- Data.gov, US Government open data - http://www.data.gov/
- 124K+ data sets as of 2015 - http://www.data.gov/metrics
- EcoInforma http://www.data.gov/ecosystems/ecoinforma/
- Dbpedia - http://dbpedia.org/About
- Decent Security - http://www.decentsecurity.com/blog/
- Digital Bill of Rights - http://jameslosey.com/post/79356515492/an-overview-of-calls-for-rights-or-principles-for-the
- E Pluribus Unum, Dispatches on Open Government and Technology - http://e-pluribusunum.org/
- Electronic Frontier Foundation - https://www.eff.org/
- (RSS) https://www.eff.org/rss
- (Wiki) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Frontier_Foundation
- (Parker Higgins-EFF) https://twitter.com/xor
- (recommended by EFF)
- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) - https://www.epic.org/
- Energy and Environment Legislation Tracking Database (US) - http://NCSL.org/issues-research/energyhome/energy-environment-legislation-tracking-database.aspx
- eQualit.ie - https://equalit.ie/equalit-ie-manifesto/
- Advancing the International Bill of Human Rights - http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/Publications/Compilation1.1en.pdf
- Fact-Checking Projects
- Beginning with PolitiFact, the original project at Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolitiFact.com
- Fight for the Future - http://www.fightforthefuture.org/
- Freedom of Information Requests/Government Attic (US) - http://GovernmentAttic.org
- (TW) https://twitter.com/FreedomofPress
- (FreedomPress Organizations) https://freedom.press/organizations
- Freedom Online Coalition - http://www.freedomonline.ee/ - http://www.freedomonline.ee/about-us/Freedom-online-coalition
- Freenet - https://freenetproject.org/
- Fundar - http://fundar.org.mx/
- Future of the Internet (blog) - http://futureoftheinternet.org/blog/
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
- Github and Open Data update - https://github.com/project-open-data - http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/02/catch-my-diff-githubs-new-feature-means-big-things-for-open-data/283673/
- Global Digital Citizen Foundation - https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/
- Global Network Initiative - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org/
- Principles on Freedom of Expression and Privacy - https://globalnetworkinitiative.org//principles/index.php
- Global Open Data Initiative - http://GlobalOpenDataInitiative.org
- Global Partners - http://www.global-partners.co.uk/
- Global Voices - http://globalvoicesonline.org/-/topics/digital-activism/
- GNU Project - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project
- Government Accountability Project - http://www.whistleblower.org/
- Government Lab - http://thegovlab.org/
- GovFuturesLab - Reimagining governance for an age of planetary challenges and human responsibility
- GovLoop (US) training/social media/open gov - https://www.govloop.com/
- GovTrack - https://www.Govtrack.us/
- GreenPolicy360 / Digital Citizen - http://www.greenpolicy360.net/w/Category:Digital_Citizen
- Information Technology and Innovation Foundation - http://www.itif.org/
- Institute for the Future - http://iftf.org/govfutures
- Internet.org "Connecting the World" - https://info.internet.org/en/
- Internet Bill of Rights / Internet Rights and Principles Coalition - http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/site/
- Internet Freedom Festival (IFF)
- Internet Governance Project - http://www.internetgovernance.org/
- Internet Society - http://www.internetsociety.org/who-we-are/mission
- IT for Change (India) - http://www.itforchange.net/
- Linked Data - http://linkeddata.org/
- Mobile Commons - https://www.mobilecommons.com/about/
- Mozilla Foundation Webmaker Tools - https://webmaker.org/en-US/tools
- New Media Rights - http://www.newmediarights.org/
- Online Magna Carta - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/12/online-magna-carta-berners-lee-web 
- Open Access Publishing - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_access
- Open Congress (U.S.) - https://www.opencongress.org/
- Open Data Institute UK-Int'l - http://TheODI.org/about-us - http://TheGuardian.com/public-leaders-network/2013/oct/22/open-data-institute-summit-gavin-starks
- Open Data movement_Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Data
- Open Data Nation - http://www.opendatanation.com/ ("Smart Cities and Small Businesses")
- Open Data Research Network - http://opendataresearch.org/
- Open Data - World Bank - http://data.worldbank.org/
- OpenDemocracy - https://www.opendemocracy.net/about
- (TW) https://twitter.com/opendemocracy
- Open Government Initiative (US) - http://www.whitehouse.gov/open
- Open Government in Practice - https://openlibrary.org/books/OL24435672M/Open_Government
- Open Government Partnership - International - http://OpenGovPartnership.org
- Open Institute - http://openinstitute.com/
- Open Knowledge Foundation Lab - http://okfn.org/
- (Blog) PublicBodies.org - http://blog.okfn.org/2013/07/09/introducing-open-knowledge-foundation-labs/
- Open Rights Group - https://www.openrightsgroup.org/
- Open Science - http://opensciencefederation.com/
- Open Secrets/Center for Responsive Politics - http://www.opensecrets.org/
- Open Source @Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source
- Open Source Hardware (wiki) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_hardware
- Open Standards Principles (UK) - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/open-standards-principles/open-standards-principles
- Open State Foundation - http://www.openstate.eu/
- Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation - http://newamerica.org/oti/
- OpenGov Foundation - http://OpenGovFoundation.org
- OpenGov Hub - https://twitter.com/OpenGovHub
- OpenMedia International - https://openmedia.org/
- OpenNet Initiative - http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/research/opennet
- Peer 2 Peer-P2P Foundation - http://p2pfoundation.net/
- Personal Democracy Forum/Media - https://personaldemocracy.com/
- Civic Hall - http://civichall.org/
- Piwik analytics - http://piwik.org/
- Privacy Rights in the Digital Age (Published 2016)
- Project on Government Oversight - http://www.pogo.org/
- PublicAgenda - http://PublicAgenda.org
- Public Resource Org ("Making Government Information More Accessible") - https://public.resource.org/
- RDF Standards - http://W3.org/RDF
- Reform Government Surveillance - https://www.reformgovernmentsurveillance.com/
- Research Data Sharing without Barriers - https://RD-Alliance.org
- Reset the Net - https://www.resetthenet.org/
- SafeGov - http://www.safegov.org/
- Save the Internet (US) - http://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home
- Schneier on Security - https://www.schneier.com/about.html
- Software Freedom Law Center - https://www.softwarefreedom.org/
- SpiderOak - https://spideroak.com/
- State Decoded - http://StateDecoded.com
- Sunlight Foundation - http://sunlightfoundation.com/
- (FB) https://www.facebook.com/sunlightfoundation
- (G+) https://plus.google.com/+sunlightfoundation/posts
- (TW) https://twitter.com/sunfoundation
- Measuring the Impact of Open Data
- The Constituent (US) - https://The-Constituent.com
- Thoughtworks - http://www.thoughtworks.com/
- UN/United Nations Promotion and protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms while countering terrorism - https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/10/15/un-investigator-report-condemns-mass-surveillance/
- US Gov-EPA Databases - http://Water.EPA.gov/aboutow/owow/data.cfm
- VYPR VPN - http://www.goldenfrog.com/vyprvpn
- Web We Want (World Wide Web Foundation) - http://webfoundation.org/2013/12/announcing-the-web-we-want/ - https://webwewant.org/
- WebTAP / Web Transparency & Accountability Project (Princeton University) - https://webtap.princeton.edu/
- Jimmy Wales / Founder - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Wales
- Wikiversity - https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Main_Page
- World Summit on the Information Society +10/ - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Summit_on_the_Information_Society
- Worldwide Web Consortium - http://www.w3.org/
- WWW Origins-Foundation, est. by World Wide Web founder Tim Berners-Lee, "devoted to all people having access to the Web"
- WebFoundation.org -- "The Web Belongs to All of Us"
Green360 Popular Pages & Index of Files